Author Topic: Bacon Virgin!  (Read 14862 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Bacon Virgin!
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 09:46:50 PM »
I do not have a co;d smoke plate. When cold smoking I always use as high a rack as possible. I use chips with a chip screen and run the #3 on 100.

That looks like a good belly, if I were smoking it I would cut it in half prior to curing.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 02:52:22 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2016, 10:01:52 PM »
I did cut it in half!

The plan is to take it out of the brine tomorrow.  Let it air dry in the fridge after rinsing through Sat and get up early on Sunday and smoke that bad boy!

Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2016, 10:56:40 PM »
Not sure what happened.  I thought I posted on here last night but I guess I forgot to hit send.

At any rate, I'm getting ready to smoke my bacon tomorrow morning. I rinsed the brine Friday night and the halves have been sitting on a rack in my fridge air drying since then.  I'm thinking about drenching the bacon halves in maple syrup just before I begin the smoke tomorrow morning.  Does anyone have any thoughts on that?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Walt

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 12:04:21 AM »
I usually add a light coat of cane syrup & some fresh cracked black pepper.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2016, 11:38:38 AM »
I don't think I've got the hang of this cold smoke plate. I cranked it up to 125F at the beginning for about 5 min until the smoke started rolling. Then cut it back to 100. After a while, I noticed my meat temp was rising slowly. I cut off the heat all together for a while. Then about an hour into it, I opened the door. After a while and seeing no smoke, I cranked it up to 200 for about 5 min till I saw some thin blue smoke and then cut it back down to 100. I had to leave my house as my mom is having surgery. But thanks to Tony Lyne building me a Heatermeter I'm watching the temps from here. Right now after 2 hours I'm sitting at 80F. Will it be okay if I just smoke it till it hits 150 since I can't be there to regulate the temp?
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2016, 03:59:59 PM »
I don't think I've got the hang of this cold smoke plate. I cranked it up to 125F at the beginning for about 5 min until the smoke started rolling. Then cut it back to 100. After a while, I noticed my meat temp was rising slowly. I cut off the heat all together for a while. Then about an hour into it, I opened the door. After a while and seeing no smoke, I cranked it up to 200 for about 5 min till I saw some thin blue smoke and then cut it back down to 100. I had to leave my house as my mom is having surgery. But thanks to Tony Lyne building me a Heatermeter I'm watching the temps from here. Right now after 2 hours I'm sitting at 80F. Will it be okay if I just smoke it till it hits 150 since I can't be there to regulate the temp?

If you have an analog model... I turn the smoker ON FULL BLAST for 15 minutes (to get the smoke going), then 45 minutes OFF. Repeat this cycle, and try to keep the box temp under 100 degrees, for as many smoke cycles as you want (for smokiness preference, 4 hours or more), until you are ready to actually "cook" the bacon to 150. Smoking in the winter makes this much easier. Then you turn to 200 until internal temp reaches 150. If you have a D model, then this process is much differnt. If you are using the cold smoke plate, you should have a disposable aluminum pan filled with ice sitting on top of the plate, or 2 liter bottles of frozen water (ice) in a pan on top of the cold smoke plate.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 04:07:31 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2016, 04:41:47 PM »
Almost done now. Just rotated it. 

I'm thinking of putting more maple syrup on when I take it out.  Any thoughts on that?
The Woodlands, Texas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2016, 09:14:23 PM »
All done!  I did slather maple syrup on both pieces after I took them out. They smell like a dream!  I have them resting in the fridge now uncovered. Can't wait to get time to slice them and eat some!!!
The Woodlands, Texas

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2016, 10:31:02 AM »
I think you are going to like it Libo.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

ibbones

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2016, 12:20:59 PM »
Looks amazing.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2016, 08:27:24 PM »
Whoa!   :P :P :P
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2016, 09:04:29 PM »
Now that the halves have rested for 24 hours uncovered in my fridge... And I'm not ready to slice right now... Should I wrap them in tin foil until I'm ready?  Also, how long will they keep in the fridge?
The Woodlands, Texas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2016, 09:12:51 PM »
I've heard of people resting their bacon in the fridge uncovered for as long as four days before slicing. The longer the better. It allows the smoke to further penetrate and equalize.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2016, 09:19:20 PM »
Thanks Greg! 
The Woodlands, Texas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2016, 11:24:54 AM »
Final results... OMG!!!!  Incredible. I have seen the light!!!  Never have I had bacon this phenomenal before!!!

I sliced up a couple lbs this morning with my 14" victorinox granton edge carving knife. Vacuum sealed the rest in chunks of roughly 1.5 lbs each. I did notice that since my slices were not too consistent, the thicker pieces needed to stay in longer (cooked in oven).  Flavor was out of this world!

Thank you to everyone for helping make my first time memorable!  ;)

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 11:26:30 AM by Libohunden »
The Woodlands, Texas