Author Topic: 2D Problem  (Read 2549 times)

ycastane

2D Problem
« on: November 26, 2016, 05:27:24 PM »
I bought the Model 2D 4 months ago and have used it about 5 times and loved it each time, that was until yesterday.

The smoker would not reach 2 after 5 hrs, raised it to 300 and never reached 200 in almost 2 hrs. Had to take ribs inside the house and finish in the oven.

Smoker sits inside the house covered with its cover until it's time to bring out and use. What the hell happened to it!? Anyone heard or experienced this before!?

Waiting for Monday to contact mfg. Thought I'd ask here until then.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: 2D Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 05:38:12 PM »
Were your ribs covering the entire rack?  I've covered too much shelf surface area before and the heat got blocked from reaching the probe.  Another possibility is meat actually touching the probe.  Clean your probe and throw something small in there and fire it up again.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 05:40:48 PM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

ycastane

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 05:56:21 PM »
Yeah I've been reading similar issues and that might have been it. I was doing St. Louis ribs, 3 racks cut in half and 2 halves per but they were very wide and perhaps the meat was touching the probe, never realized it till now. Thanks for the input.

ycastane

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 01:11:35 PM »
Doing and Boston butt to try out the issue and the probe was the problem. 2D working great again.

Now a separate question, best way to remove all the grime and even season to start fresh and re Season!? Anyone done it before!?

I haven't wrapped it properly and it's a mess I'd like to clean, as well as to find the right size disposable tin containers so it contains most of the spill off.