Author Topic: Auber Temperature Goes Awry  (Read 2635 times)

BigDaddyDisco

Auber Temperature Goes Awry
« on: November 26, 2016, 04:04:28 PM »
I have #2, Auber with a permenant probe installed, additionally I have autotuned the Auber. For some reason the Auber temperature display shows temperatures all over the place. It starts off fine showing ambient temps, slowly it moves up like it should with the box getting warmer. Just when I think it's OK, the alarm starts going off because now it's showing temps at 400-700F, moments later its back to something within the cook settings. I have used the Auber numerious times prior to it acting this way Around the time I am about to lose my mind it starts working as it should. This has happened twice now. I have done a factory reset and it still did this. Interested to know if thas this happened to others and what they may have done to resolve it.
Zach from Chicagoland
#2 with Auber

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Auber Temperature Goes Awry
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 05:22:58 PM »
How do you store the probe plug when not in use? If left outside the smoker box, moisture can get in. I store mine inside the smoke hole. If you unscrew the metal cover on the back of the probe you can inspect the wire connections. Did you also get a moveable probe with your smoker? Swapping to the moveable probe for one smoke might give you a hint if the issue is on the probe side or the Auber side.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

BigDaddyDisco

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 12:47:43 PM »
Thanks! I'll try the other probe next time. The smoker sits on my covered porch with a cover when not in use. I wound the probe plug gently to ensure it doesn't get kinked and hook it with the power cord on the back, both are stored outside the box under the box cover. They may have been a time or two when it rained when I was using the smoker. I do hope it's just the probe and not the Auber unit itself. :)
Zach from Chicagoland
#2 with Auber

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 01:54:13 PM »
Zach, is it the box temp (left window), or the meat probe that's going haywire?  I've rarely seen the permanent box probe fail, so I would guess you have moisture in the plug.  Meat probes, on the other hand, are much more likely to fail.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BigDaddyDisco

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 12:16:29 AM »
Yes, it's the box temp display.
Zach from Chicagoland
#2 with Auber