Author Topic: Cured and Smoked Turkey Breast (Turkey Ham)  (Read 28652 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Cured and Smoked Turkey Breast (Turkey Ham)
« on: October 29, 2016, 01:04:57 AM »
What I’m going for here is something similar to smoked turkey deli meat, the sweeter version, like maple or honey smoked. Slightly pink, moist, tastes kind of like honey ham. I decided to try Pop’s Curing Brine, since it has a high sugar content, and the flavor profile seemed like what I was looking for. I noticed Gregg (NDKoze) has posted a very similar brine recipe on this forum (looks like a variation on Pop's) that uses a little less sugar. If you want to reduce the sugar, I would suggest reducing the white sugar, and keeping the brown sugar as is.

Pop’s Curing Brine (from SmokingMeatForums)
1 gallon of water
3/4 cup of kosher salt
1 cup granulated white sugar (If you prefer less sweetness, I would suggest reducing the white sugar to 1/2 cup or even none.)
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cure #1
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon molasses (mild flavor) (I used full flavor)

1 whole boneless/skinless turkey breast (left and right halves)
Maple syrup or honey for glazing (optional) (I used maple syrup)

Directions
Cure breast halves for 2-3 days (I cured for 3 days). Rinse off cure and soak in plain water for 30 minutes. Pat dry. Put the two breasts together, insides facing, thin end of one to thick end of the other, and tie into a uniform cylinder shape, so it will smoke evenly. Refrigerate on a rack for 24 hours to form a pellicle.

Smoke at 200 using 3 ounces of cherry (no water pan). After two hours, glaze with maple syrup or honey. Glaze once per hour after that, 1 or 2 more times. Smoke to an internal temperature of 160. Tent loosely with foil and let cool for 1 hour. Wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 days before slicing. I sliced thin, and vacuum sealed in one or two sandwich-sized portions.

Lessons Learned
After 5-1/2 hours, my internal temp was at 147, and had been sitting at 147 for well over an hour. I feel two things contributed to the IT taking so long to rise. 1) Opening the door to apply the glaze, and 2) Tying the two halves together making a fairly large meat mass. I was starting to get concerned about the meat drying out, so at that point, I decided to wrap the turkey log with foil, and turn the smoker up to 250. The internal temperature then rose quickly. If I were to do it again, I would do the entire smoke at 225, and maybe wrap with foil at around 145 or 150 IT. If I were smoking a single breast (not two tied together) then I would stick with smoking at 200.

Taste
I tend to like things on the smoky side, so it was just right for me. Those who like a lighter smoke might want to go with 2 or 2-1/2 ounces of wood. It was definitely on the sweeter side, a lot like honey ham. It was fine as is, but next time I will probably try reducing the white sugar to 1/2 cup if using a honey or maple glaze. I was also pretty happy with the salt level. Deli meat is fairly salty, and it was comparable to that. Not overly salty, but well seasoned, and when used on a sandwich, the salt level and flavors were very balanced with the other sandwich ingredients. All in all, I’ll be putting this in my regular rotation. 2 days would probably be adequate for the brine/cure, but based on the results I had, I'll probably stick with 3 days unless I am pressed for time.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 01:09:20 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Cured and Smoked Turkey Breast (Turkey Ham)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 05:31:16 PM »
VERY nice, Kari!  Never thought of doing this, but it's now on my agenda!  Looks really, really good - and I appreciate the great write-up!  I use Pop's brine for Canadian bacon.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 07:32:32 PM »
VERY nice, Kari!  Never thought of doing this, but it's now on my agenda!  Looks really, really good - and I appreciate the great write-up!  I use Pop's brine for Canadian bacon.

This smoked turkey tastes a lot like ham or Canadian bacon, so that makes sense.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 11:17:26 AM »
Looks awesome! And way better than what you will find in the deli.

I loved it when I did mine and this reminds me that I should try it again.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Greenenvey

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 12:17:27 PM »
that looks fantastic, I'm going to give this a try really soon!!  would you recommend doing a whole breast? or the halves like you did? i don't believe ive ever seen halves in the store.
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

SconnieQ

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 12:32:11 PM »
that looks fantastic, I'm going to give this a try really soon!!  would you recommend doing a whole breast? or the halves like you did? i don't believe ive ever seen halves in the store.

When I say whole breast, I mean both the left and right side (like from a whole turkey). The butcher refers to each side as a "half breast", and to both sides together as a "whole breast". So a whole breast is what people might call two breasts. It think it is best to tie the left and right side together, end to end as I've done, as it gives a more even shape and cooks more evenly. Otherwise that thin tapered end is going to get pretty dry. That's clear as mud. Darn butchers keep confusing everybody with their terminology. My meat market sells "whole" chicken breasts, and it is always fun to watch people ask for one breast and get two. Barrels of laughs at the meat counter. ;D
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Greenenvey

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 12:43:47 PM »
omg I'm laughing my ass of here for real.... soooo that white honey suckle bag has a left and a right breast in it and its one solid piece? I mean when i buy a whole turkey breast like that , is that actually only one side of a breast and i need the other side too?? ohhhh my god I'm about to pee my pants here........
I think what I'm really trying to ask is I can either purchase a whole breast, that the right and left haven't been separated, or buy a whole breast consisting of the right and left breast bit cut in half like you did.?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 12:58:41 PM by Greenenvey »
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 01:01:26 PM »
omg I'm laughing my ass of here for real.... soooo that white honey suckle bag has a left and a right breast in it and its one solid piece? I mean when i buy a whole turkey breast like that , is that actually only one side of a breast and i need the other side too?? ohhhh my god I'm about to pee my pants here........

The Honeysuckle White is a bone-in, skin-on, whole breast (with both sides). Just like if you took a whole turkey, and lopped it in half separating the dark meat half (legs and thighs) from the breast. It's not really one solid piece. I cut each breast side off of the bone, removed the skin, cured, then tied them together. I made stock with the bones, trimmings and skin. I'm a big advocate of utilizing every scrap of meat I buy in some way. You could also just remove the skin and cure and smoke it on the bone. I was tempted to do that, but I was still worried the thin ends might get dry. Most grocery stores will have the "breast-only" near the rest of the frozen turkey. You can also just buy a whole turkey and use the breasts from that.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Greenenvey

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 01:13:06 PM »

The Honeysuckle White is a bone-in, skin-on, whole breast (with both sides). Just like if you took a whole turkey, and lopped it in half separating the dark meat half (legs and thighs) from the breast. It's not really one solid piece. I cut each breast side off of the bone, removed the skin, cured, then tied them together. I made stock with the bones, trimmings and skin. I'm a big advocate of utilizing every scrap of meat I buy in some way. You could also just remove the skin and cure and smoke it on the bone. I was tempted to do that, but I was still worried the thin ends might get dry. Most grocery stores will have the "breast-only" near the rest of the frozen turkey. You can also just buy a whole turkey and use the breasts from that.
ok thank you , that is all cleared up now, I'm diffently going to give this a go!!
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

Greenenvey

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 09:28:30 PM »
Kari, I'm making this some time this week, I'm excited,!
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

Greenenvey

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 01:25:32 PM »
I'm making  this today, it's been curing for 3 days and it's in the smoker right now. Looking  forward to some great lunch  meat for sandwiches  to take fishing.
Laura
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 01:57:17 PM »
Nicely done Kari. I haven't done a breast yet but you have me seriously considering that.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN