Author Topic: About to purchase  (Read 4423 times)

ccase39

About to purchase
« on: September 21, 2016, 11:44:25 PM »
I have seen some videos about installing the temperature probe but that's all I can find besides programming. Wouldn't I need to somehow wire the eliment to the auber? How does it maintain temperature if it's not connected to the element?
Chris

Covington Louisiana

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: About to purchase
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 12:11:58 AM »
Are you buying the Auber because of your temp swings? I saw and responded to your other post. Sounds like you will be doing a lot of briskets and butts for your food bus, and the temp swings are not a problem for brisket, butts, ribs, poultry, etc. Unless you are cold smoking, or low temp smoking, the swings are fine. So you probably don't "need" the Auber. You can produce equally good Q with or without. But if you would feel more comfortable with more precise control over your temps and want the programmability, then you should get it. Someone else here with Auber experience can answer your wiring question.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

ccase39

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 03:36:37 PM »
Thanks! The temp swings don't bother me for BBQ so much, I've already gotten awesome results with brisket and pork butts. We have a grown up grilled cheese with smoked Gouda and roasted red pepper and I would love to boast "House smoked Gouda". I will also do salmon from time to time so it will help with that. I'm also a gadget guy so why not you know? Lol.
Thanks for the responses.
Chris
Chris

Covington Louisiana

SconnieQ

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 03:51:45 PM »
Thanks! The temp swings don't bother me for BBQ so much, I've already gotten awesome results with brisket and pork butts. We have a grown up grilled cheese with smoked Gouda and roasted red pepper and I would love to boast "House smoked Gouda". I will also do salmon from time to time so it will help with that. I'm also a gadget guy so why not you know? Lol.
Thanks for the responses.
Chris

For cheese and salmon, the Auber will be of GREAT help. I smoke both cold-smoked lox (with the addition of the cold smoke plate), and hot smoked salmon without the Auber on my #1. I can do a work-around for keeping the temps low, BUT it requires regular intervention from me. So if you are doing it for more than a hobby (like you are for your business), you will want the Auber for sure.

I don't want to get the post off-track, so other posters, please refer to the original post for questions.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 04:51:20 PM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

ccase39

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 04:49:36 PM »
Great I'm sold. I cannot find one online for sale for the #3. Unless I am missing something. It's in the instructions and catalog I got with the smoker. Anyone got a link?
Chris

Covington Louisiana

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 07:06:35 PM »
Chris, the smoker's power cord plugs into the back of the Auber, and that's how it controls the element.  You turn your control dial all the way up, and the probe and power cord go into the Auber, and the Auber into the power outlet.  It feeds power to the smoker through the power cord.

I find the best way to use the standalone Auber is to bypass the stock controller (cut out the "middle man," so to speak).  That way, the Auber is in total control of the element, with no potential bottleneck.  There are instructions, in the Auber section, on how to do this - it's very easy, and can be done when you install the wall probe.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 09:48:05 PM »
Great I'm sold. I cannot find one online for sale for the #3. Unless I am missing something. It's in the instructions and catalog I got with the smoker. Anyone got a link?

I am not an Auber expert, but I assume you can buy it from Smokin-it here:
http://www.smokin-it.com/product_p/wsd-1500gph.htm

Probably other places too.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 10:31:30 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

ccase39

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 10:25:08 PM »
Chris, the smoker's power cord plugs into the back of the Auber, and that's how it controls the element.  You turn your control dial all the way up, and the probe and power cord go into the Auber, and the Auber into the power outlet.  It feeds power to the smoker through the power cord.

I find the best way to use the standalone Auber is to bypass the stock controller (cut out the "middle man," so to speak).  That way, the Auber is in total control of the element, with no potential bottleneck.  There are instructions, in the Auber section, on how to do this - it's very easy, and can be done when you install the wall probe.

Cool, looks like they make it easy. I will bypass the stock controller. I read up a little bit on it. If I am bypassing it do I still need to turn it all the way up? I would think it wouldnt matter but just checking.
Chris

Covington Louisiana

ccase39

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 12:01:06 AM »
Just ordered it along with a cold smoke plate. I cannot wait to do the cheese and some duck pastrami. This is opening a whole new world of fun for me. Honestly I was getting burnt out on the fine dining thing. This is really refreshing and fun to learn. Looks like you guys have a great board here. Thanks for all the help! Im sure I will be bugging yall about how to program it and all when it comes in.
Chris

Covington Louisiana

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 08:35:41 PM »
Chris, if you do the bypass, the stock controller is unplugged, so no need to touch it.  When you get ready to do some cheese, with the cold smoke plate and Auber, let me know; I can help you with some programming that will "automate" the process!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

ccase39

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 10:09:11 PM »
Chris, if you do the bypass, the stock controller is unplugged, so no need to touch it.  When you get ready to do some cheese, with the cold smoke plate and Auber, let me know; I can help you with some programming that will "automate" the process!

Will do! I didn't think I would make use of any of the features besides just having more control over my temps but as I read up I see there is a lot I can get out of this thing. Should have it by the end of the week. I already have some Gouda waiting,
Chris

Covington Louisiana