Author Topic: Smoked Rainbow Trout  (Read 5126 times)

Nimrod

Smoked Rainbow Trout
« on: September 02, 2016, 07:03:39 PM »
Hope everyone's holiday weekend has begun :)

Ive got some whole skinless rainbow trout I want to smoke this weekend and Ive grilled a variety of finned critters but never smoked a fish.  Read several posts for salmon and think this would work about the same if I dry brined using Walt's or Kari's process.  Ive only got 4 so I wanted a little feedback in hopes I can get it right the first time?  Thoughts or comments?
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Smoked Rainbow Trout
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 07:16:30 PM »
I'll be interested to hear how this turns out.  I don't care for salmon, but love trout!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 10:56:32 PM »
I've been meaning to smoke whole trout for some time now in the SI. Costco seems to have decent whole trout, heads and skin on! If it were me, and yours are skinless, I might dry brine for about 1/2 to 2/3 the time as salmon. Trout has a more delicate flesh, and I'd want to preserve that. If they are still whole, pack the dry brine inside and out. Other than that I'd try about the same process as salmon. And make sure not to cook to more than 140-145 (if you can find a good place to stick a probe), to keep it moist.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 10:58:20 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Nimrod

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 08:43:11 AM »
Thanks fornthe feedback and sounds like a good plan.  I'll see if I can find a reliable spot to put a probe and check it with the thermapen.  Smoke tomorrow and I'll follow up with results.
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

Nimrod

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 07:49:31 PM »
Results are in.
Packed the trout in brine overnight using 1 part kosher salt to 4 parts brown sugar. Rinsed and let rest on a rack in the fridge for@9hours.  Coated 2 of the 4 with honey (just because so many recipes call for some sort of syrup) then into the #2 with 2.45oz of wild cherry.  Set the temp to 150 for 20 minutes then 170 for 60 minutes.  Based on some of the other fish smokes I saw, there seemed to be concerns with overcooking thus the ramp up.  However, I think it was somewhat counterproductive in that I didn't feel like I got much smoke. When I popped the door after the first 80 minutes, the thermapen read 118-122 so I closed up and cranked it to 200 for 20 more minutes, producing fabulous smoke and an IT of 140ish.  Served with pasta alfredo and salad.

So, results were good not great.  Also, I never really saw a 'pellicle' as described in all the salmon cooks so dont know if I screwed up something or if thats just less prominent on more delicate sized fish?  But, now that Ive done the trout, I am definitely going to smoke some salmon and compare!
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

SconnieQ

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 09:25:12 PM »
I don't do the ramp up. I just set to 180 (or 170 depending on the outdoor temp that day, and how I'm feeling).  It's got to be high enough to get the wood smoking, but not so high to cook the fish too fast. Did you use chips? Or spit your chunks into fine slivers? That is important for fish and lower temperature quick smokes. As far as the pellicle, the formation might vary depending on species of fish. Trout might have to be cured longer, or dried longer before smoking. Sounds like you allowed enough time to dry and form the pellicle. Trout probably has more water than salmon, and less fat. How did it taste? Was it moist? Formation of the perfect pellicle might be less important for trout. Your pictures look good. All I can say is invest in a thermometer than you can run through the hole in the top so you are not "popping" the door to check the temperature of the fish. All sorts of negative things happen when you open the door (temp drop, smoke loss, moisture loss, oxygen rush, wood combustion). Fish smokes very quickly, and also overcooks very quickly, so you do not want to open the door to take the temp, because you will interrupt the airflow to the wood, causing combustion, premature burnout of wood, and all the other stuff I mentioned... before the fish has had the benefit of bathing in nice smoldering smoke.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 09:40:19 PM by SconnieQ »
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Nimrod

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 09:46:22 PM »
Kari,
Good advice and I definitely would start at a higher temp next time to get the smoke rolling.  The fish was not dry although that small a trout has a pretty thin tail and it was more dry (drier?).  I'd guess they are not as uniform thickness as most salmon I've seen for sale so probably a conundrum?  The taste was rather mild but good.  I really couldn't tell much difference in the fish basted with honey vs without but I did get one bite that was noticeably salty so maybe need to make sure my brine is blended better.  I have the Maverick remote thermometer but ultimately elected not to use it because I felt it would be hard to get a good probe set.  One of the recipes I read had you brushing the fish with syrup every 30 minutes after the first hour so I thought...what the heck?...I'll give it 60 minutes or so and take an instant read.  I think it worked fine for such a short smoke. But would use the probe on salmon or a larger cut of fish.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 11:17:49 AM by Nimrod »
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 09:55:37 PM »
I think the recipes that say "baste or brush every so many minutes", don't work with the SI. I would brush with maple syrup or honey if you would like before putting in the smoker, then brush again when done. Even with salmon, the tail part will get dry if smoked with the rest of the filet. I only use the top 2/3 (toward the head) when smoking. The thinner 1/3 toward the tail I use for other things, like sous vide, salmon tartare, salmon burgers/cakes, etc. Try the probe through the hole setup next time without opening the door. I usually use a couple probes on a couple different pieces of salmon, just to be sure.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Nimrod

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 10:10:44 AM »
Just a side question,

Do most of you fish smoking pros use a mat?  This throwaway grate worked fine on the trout but I have some Kona mats for the grill and debated using one wondering how much they may inhibit or restrict smoke absorption if at all?
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

Walt

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 03:02:47 PM »
I cut my fish into serving portions, brine, lightly rinse, pat dry, place on wire rack in fridge to form pellicle. Just before smoking, a light but complete coating of cane syrup. Cook to 135IT. It takes about an hour @ 170. No mat just the seafood rack. Always a winner.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SconnieQ

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 03:13:57 PM »
Just a side question,

Do most of you fish smoking pros use a mat?  This throwaway grate worked fine on the trout but I have some Kona mats for the grill and debated using one wondering how much they may inhibit or restrict smoke absorption if at all?

I always use FrogMats when smoking fish. QMatz are the same thing. They have a mesh pattern, are non-stick, and wash up easily by hand or in the dishwasher.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Nimrod

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 05:56:22 PM »
Good to know :)  Pretty sure those are similar products to my Kona mat.
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2