Author Topic: Ingredient kit for ground extruded jerky?  (Read 3636 times)

snakyjake

Ingredient kit for ground extruded jerky?
« on: July 29, 2016, 04:12:27 PM »
Does it make a difference if I use a jerky ingredient kit (Hi Mountain Jerky) for ground beef extruded jerky?
Or do I need a different recipe/kit?
Or modify a recipe?

Jake from WA.
WSM, BGE, #3D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Ingredient kit for ground extruded jerky?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 07:35:43 PM »
Lots of folks use High Mountain, with great results, Jake.  It is a cure, which is good.  The only reason I don't use it is most of it has MSG.  Triggers migraines in the wife, so I have to be careful about it.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

snakyjake

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 08:55:28 PM »
Thanks for pointing out the MSG.

I'm curious what the base recipe is.  Salt, nitrites, sugar, garlic?  I'm basically a meat, butter, salt, garlic, smoke type of person.  I like simple awesome food.

Then I start to wonder if I can convert bacon into jerky (dry preserve for on the go snacks).
Jake from WA.
WSM, BGE, #3D

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 10:57:54 PM »
There are many companies out there that sell jerky seasoning, therefore there any many available options. If you are interested in making your own seasoning, there are many recipes available online and you can then buy the cure separately.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 07:03:28 PM »
Lots of folks use High Mountain, with great results, Jake.  It is a cure, which is good.  The only reason I don't use it is most of it has MSG.  Triggers migraines in the wife, so I have to be careful about it.

FYI, I looked at several of the High Mountain Jerky seasonings (my favorites),and couldn't find any that had MSG. Hi-Country Seasonings which is another popular brand has some seasonings that have MSG, but also has several seasonings that specifically call out that they "do not" contain any MSG.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 09:53:03 PM »
Hi Mountain, Hi Country...might have been confused, Gregg! :-[   I don't use the pre-packaged stuff anyways; I like to concoct my own ingredients!  No doubts what's in it, that way!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

puddle jumper

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 08:36:33 PM »
Ive had really good results with this , but I add a teaspoon of cyan to it to give it a little kick..
PJ
PS I don't use the casings anymore
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:39:39 PM by puddle jumper »
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner