Author Topic: snack sticks  (Read 7989 times)

icebob

snack sticks
« on: July 09, 2016, 09:22:42 PM »
Got 10# hanging in the basement right now(68F down there) used the NKDoze recommended Walton's pepper stick seasonning, but this time went 65% beef and 35% pork loin... can't wait to get those bad boys in the smoker in the morning. 
Bob from Cahokia, IL

Plan2build

• Keep Fit....Chase your Food!!!
Re: snack sticks
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 10:37:56 AM »
Now that is some good looking laundry!
Gregor from NJ
Model #2 Owner, Husband of a vegetarian (talk about making it hard!?!?), and proud daddy!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 01:19:14 AM »
Those look like some fine lookin sticks Bob.

Looking forward to the smoked sticks pics. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

icebob

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 07:12:40 PM »
Couple pieces of those, some smoked cheese, a cold homebrew and a ball game on TV....Hell yeah! my best batch so far... did the 1 hre at 100, 1hre at 150 and crank it up to 180 untill 155 internal...
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 07:52:21 PM »
Nice! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 01:21:24 AM »
Couple pieces of those, some smoked cheese, a cold homebrew and a ball game on TV....Hell yeah! my best batch so far... did the 1 hre at 100, 1hre at 150 and crank it up to 180 untill 155 internal...

The sticks look awesome! How do you like the seasoning?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

icebob

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 06:35:39 PM »
seasoning is fantastic ;) next time I order I will go for the 100# version!
Bob from Cahokia, IL

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 02:41:08 AM »
I buy the 100lb bags too. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND

JackT

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 01:19:03 PM »
Thinking about trying to make some smokies. Any enlightenment you can provide on casings? Looks like you might know a few things:-)
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

Grampy

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 03:03:40 PM »
seasoning is fantastic ;) next time I order I will go for the 100# version!

Bob, try the Willie's Snack Stick  Seasoning from Walton's sometime too. I switch it up between the Willies and the Pepper Stick seasoning. Those two are my favorites.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 11:13:05 PM »
I buy the 100lb bags too. :)
Wow. Very impressive. King of the snack stix :o
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 10:16:14 AM »
Thinking about trying to make some smokies. Any enlightenment you can provide on casings? Looks like you might know a few things:-)

Using the smaller casings for smokies would depend on what type of stuffer you have. I have heard that the smaller stuffers handle the smaller casings better. My 15lb stuffer has all it can do to handle 21mm casings. I couldn't imagine trying to push 19's or smaller through my stuffer. But, if you have a 5lb stuffer or a Jerky Cannon, that may work better.

It sounds like an interesting idea and I would love to hear more if you decide to do it.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Joe Rinaldi

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 06:25:38 PM »
Did you use the Jerky Drier for these?
Weber 22 Performer
Traeger Texas Elite
Smokin-It 4D
Joe
Lovettsville VA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 07:55:44 PM »
Joe, I'm pretty sure Gregg uses the jerky fan...he'll correct me if I'm wrong.  Makes a WORLD of difference, with jerky or sausage!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 12:00:16 PM »
Did you use the Jerky Drier for these?

Absolutely. This is a must, to the point that I would hold off until you have a drier. My very first batch in my SI was without the drier and it basically just steamed the sticks. They tasted OK, but the texture was awful!
Gregg - Fargo, ND