Author Topic: Pulled the trigger....OH MY!!!  (Read 9521 times)

id2nv2nj2ca

• Scott Petersen Photography
Pulled the trigger....OH MY!!!
« on: May 25, 2016, 06:05:15 AM »
I have been going back and forth for days on buying the 3D or the 4D or none at all. I'm even on vacation right now at 3am in my room at the Palazzo Hotel in Vegas. Went through the ordering process and handed my wife my phone and told her to press the "Place Order" button. And I'll be damned if she didn't do it. ;) We have a catering gig on June 10th for a wedding rehearsal dinner and a graduation party two weeks later. Sure hope this beast gets here next week, it works properly and I can season it without the wood catching fire like it did in my MES when I first got it, get at least one successful smoke with it and then use for those events. So hope I don't end up with buyers remorse. Wish me luck. :)
Scott P - 50 years young - Southern California

Masterbuilt Electric 40 (3 actually. It's a long story)
Proud new owner of a 4D Big Daddy.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Pulled the trigger....OH MY!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 08:58:04 AM »
I am sure you will be happy with smoker!    The key to avoiding combustion with the wood is the get good wood with a high moisture content (ie, not dried out wood).   Many of us here are using wood from smokinlicious.com; I have not had any combustion issues since switching to their wood.   Welcome aboard!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 09:43:34 AM »
Congratulations Scott! You are going to love your new beast of a smoker. I'm not guaranteeing that you won't have any hiccups, but the learning curve is short and the results are awesome!

BTW, if your seasoning doesn't go as planned with the Auber don't get too worried. These things are tuned to be used with meat in the smoker. So, some have seen issues with the temps during seasoning. Not anything to be worried about.

I am looking forward to the day when I can spring for a #4.

BTW, good luck on your catering business!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 11:01:02 AM »
Congrats from a fellow #4 owner.  We're a small percentage of the SI family and our units run just a little different than the rest.  We look forward to your posts.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

id2nv2nj2ca

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 11:29:59 AM »
I am sure you will be happy with smoker!    The key to avoiding combustion with the wood is the get good wood with a high moisture content (ie, not dried out wood).   Many of us here are using wood from smokinlicious.com; I have not had any combustion issues since switching to their wood.   Welcome aboard!
Thank you!! I believe Gregg also mentioned that place for wood chunks. Seems a bit expensive, but if it doesn't take much for a long smoke, GREAT!!

Looking forward to sharing some photos in the future. :)

id2nv2nj2ca

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 11:31:41 AM »
Congratulations Scott! You are going to love your new beast of a smoker. I'm not guaranteeing that you won't have any hiccups, but the learning curve is short and the results are awesome!

BTW, if your seasoning doesn't go as planned with the Auber don't get too worried. These things are tuned to be used with meat in the smoker. So, some have seen issues with the temps during seasoning. Not anything to be worried about.

Thanks Gregg. Steve should give you a commission for this sale as it was in large part made because of your posts and replies to me. :)

id2nv2nj2ca

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 11:32:53 AM »
Congrats from a fellow #4 owner.  We're a small percentage of the SI family and our units run just a little different than the rest.  We look forward to your posts.

Thank you!! I can't wait to post some photos of some hopefully stellar Q. :)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 12:03:16 PM »

Thanks Gregg. Steve should give you a commission for this sale as it was in large part made because of your posts and replies to me. :)

Thanks Scott. I was just trying to give you as much information as possible for you to make an educated decision.

As far as the wood goes, it is a small price to pay as compares to the price of some of the meat that we smoke. Considering how much meat costs, I don't want to skimp on my wood. Plus, a box of wood from Smokinlicious will last you a LONG time.

Now, the waiting game plays. I would think you would easily have it by next week sometime.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

drains

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 01:09:11 PM »
Welcome from Texas Scott! That's a beast of a smoker you're getting. Good luck with all your future smoking endeavors.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 01:30:43 PM »
The wood from smokilicious does go a long way...I bought a box of hickory/cherry last October and still have a ways to go before I will need to re-order!   Take a look at Maine Grilling Woods for another alternative...they sell small bags of wood.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 06:05:14 PM »
Congrats on the 4.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

es1025

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 07:00:59 PM »
Congrats on your purchase. I use Maine grilling woods for the past two years. Great product no issues.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 08:15:39 PM »
You know what they say, Scott --- "Go BIG or Go HOME!"  LoL!  You have definitely stepped into BIG!  Congrats!!!  That's a beast of a unit, and now has the PID controller built in!  I know you'll enjoy it, so let us know how it goes!

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 08:31:44 PM »
Scott,

Great choice.

Greg

Glock_21

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 08:41:10 PM »
Not gonna lie, I had some pretty serious "buyers remorse" after purchasing my #3.  My first couple smokes didn't go as well as I would have liked considering the money I spent.  I got a lot of great help and advice from the people on this board and I was able to adjust my methods to fit the SI.  Now I look at that smoker as one of the best appliance investments that I have ever made.
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt