Author Topic: Wood results after seasoning...placement suggestions for 1st smoke?  (Read 5926 times)

jpowell

• facebook
Just did the 4hr 250F seasoning with 3 chunks that came with my 3D (hickory I think?)
I left the chip screen in place which I'm not sure is right or wrong.
Here's what they looked like...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aryji89w5o77lbf/2016-04-07%2017.26.20%20HDR-2.jpg?dl=0
and with the chunks turned on their side to see the bottom
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iryacj0e1lssi6z/2016-04-07%2018.08.23%20HDR.jpg?dl=0
The chip screen is bowed so the chunks on the ends we're not making contact really with box directly whereas the middle was. I'm also wondering if that ring got hot and helped that middle piece burn more.  I assumed they would have burnt more in 4hrs, but I'm a n00b to smokers.
Just wondering folks thoughts on what if anything to change/do with the wood placement and chip screen as I get ready to do my 1st smoke probably tomorrow.  I do plan to put foil around the bottom of the chunks as I've seen others do in posts.
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

Smoken

Re: Wood results after seasoning...placement suggestions for 1st smoke?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 08:03:45 PM »
The chip screen is what it implies for chips I also am a noob with a new SI2 I plan on using chunks only with the foil boat when I broke mine in last week they were pretty much ash.
Joe-St Louis Mo.
Smokin-It #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 08:12:27 PM »
I get pure ash, no boat.   
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 01:53:17 AM »
Your chunks should look more burnt up than that. More black and possibly ash. I'm seeing a lot of unburned wood. I don't use the chip screen for chunks. Chunks can go directly in the wood box. I also don't foil boat the chunks unless I feel my wood chunks are so dry that they will ignite (causing a "belch"). Got some good smokinlicious.com wood now, so chunks go in naked.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 01:55:49 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JackT

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 10:02:44 AM »
Just did the 4hr 250F seasoning with 3 chunks that came with my 3D (hickory I think?)
I left the chip screen in place which I'm not sure is right or wrong.
Here's what they looked like...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aryji89w5o77lbf/2016-04-07%2017.26.20%20HDR-2.jpg?dl=0
and with the chunks turned on their side to see the bottom
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iryacj0e1lssi6z/2016-04-07%2018.08.23%20HDR.jpg?dl=0
The chip screen is bowed so the chunks on the ends we're not making contact really with box directly whereas the middle was. I'm also wondering if that ring got hot and helped that middle piece burn more.  I assumed they would have burnt more in 4hrs, but I'm a n00b to smokers.
Just wondering folks thoughts on what if anything to change/do with the wood placement and chip screen as I get ready to do my 1st smoke probably tomorrow.  I do plan to put foil around the bottom of the chunks as I've seen others do in posts.
Your chunks should have burned to ash, but you can probably blame that on the chip screen. While the foil is more of a personal preference, it's not really needed for your wood chunks. Some have mentioned combustion of their chunks, and wrapping them in foil with a few holes poked in the foil will eliminate that and possibly lengthen the wood smoke. You'll get to know your smoker now that you've broken it in and you can experiment with the different wood types to compliment your meat. Enjoy and Happy Smoking!
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

es1025

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 09:46:20 AM »
I usually take my chunks and make them a bit smaller. If i have 5 oz of wood, i will resize to 5 pieces. More consistent smoke and wood becomes ash.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

jpowell

• facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 09:53:34 AM »
I usually take my chunks and make them a bit smaller. If i have 5 oz of wood, i will resize to 5 pieces. More consistent smoke and wood becomes ash.
I was pondering doing that. Thanks for the confirmation.
Jason
>3D (my 1st ever smoker!) purchased 4/16
>4 Analog acquired from the founder of Auber Instruments in 11/22 with twin internal auber convection fans. Converting to digital with auber AW-WST1510H-W
>IT Guy
>Autocross and track day junkie
>Far Northern Indiana

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 05:37:38 PM »
Do not use the chip screen for chunks, your not hurting anything but it is absorbing heat that could be going into the wood to make more smoke.

As for foil boats and other tricks, do it if it makes you happy but it is so unnecessary.

My #3 may "Belch" due to combustion that some folks complain or fuss about but I do not care or notice. I bought the best quality electric smoker on the market so I can ignore it, not obsess over every detail. 

I toss in an appropriate size amount of wood, turn it on and walk away. Great Results, every time.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 10:23:48 AM »
I toss in an appropriate size amount of wood, turn it on and walk away. Great Results, every time.
I guess you are one of the lucky ones.  Wood consumed with fire produces bitter smoke and ash tray tasting food, fact. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Walt

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 10:43:31 AM »
I agree with Pork Belly's statement.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

drains

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 12:26:04 PM »
I agree with Walt.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 06:27:53 PM »
I only occasionally get ash. Mostly because of the altitude here. Less oxygen and all. It also means I never boat anything and get to do like Pork Belly and put the wood in and walk away. Hmmmm, less oxygen.....maybe I need to set up an oxygen bleed to "help things out"....... nah...  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN