Author Topic: How many snack sticks?  (Read 3926 times)

Jeffinn

How many snack sticks?
« on: April 01, 2016, 03:57:45 PM »
For those of you who make snack sticks, can you tell me how many pounds of sticks will fit in a #2 or a #3? I know the amount will vary depending on the size of the casing, I'm just trying to get a general idea of the size difference between smokers.
Thanks!
Jeff

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: How many snack sticks?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 06:51:33 PM »
I make 28 lbs at a time with 21MM casings in my #3.

I need 6 trays with 10-11 sticks per tray to fit these all in.

For this, I had to buy the optional side rail that includes 9 shelf guides and additional racks. I actually have 5 standard racks and 5 seafood racks. I use the five standard racks and one of my seafood racks.

Here is my latest documentation of my process:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4775.0

Let me know if you have any questions.

I have made 112 pounds (4 batches of 28) in the past two weeks. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Jeffinn

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 02:12:39 PM »
 Thanks for the response. I'm still looking at the #2 or the #3 as my next purchase. Although I really like the "D" models I'm not sure about having the electronics integrated. I may opt for the #3 and buy a separate Auber.
 I'm assuming that I'll need the jerky drier too. Do you use the drier before applying the smoke or after?
 I've done alot of sticks with my current smoker but I'm looking to upgrade. I just want to be sure that the SI smokers are a good choice for sausage as I'm currently making alot of different sausages.
Jeff

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 02:29:35 AM »
I usually smoke for 2 hours without the drier, then add the drier for the remaining time.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 08:55:32 AM »
When in doubt ALWAYS go bigger, get the #3. You can make great BBQ without the digital.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 12:45:01 PM »
When in doubt ALWAYS go bigger, get the #3. You can make great BBQ without the digital.

+1 Brian is absolutely correct. I feel zero need to have an Auber. That being said, I would probably get a #3D if I was to get a new smoker, but I am not going to bother with the integrated Auber addon or purchasing an external Auber for my traditional #3. For me and the product that I smoke it truly isn't needed to produce great "Q".
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Grampy

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 01:06:55 PM »

+1 Brian is absolutely correct. I feel zero need to have an Auber. That being said, I would probably get a #3D if I was to get a new smoker, but I am not going to bother with the integrated Auber addon or purchasing an external Auber for my traditional #3. For me and the product that I smoke it truly isn't needed to produce great "Q".

I agree with Brian and Gregg. I have the #2 and never have tried to monitor the box temperature. In my opinion that just causes unnecessary frustration for those that do try to monitor it.  I believe the temperature swings over the course of a smoke will average out to a consistent temperature in the end. 
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!