Author Topic: First Bacon; Not Firming Up  (Read 9965 times)

Tom

First Bacon; Not Firming Up
« on: March 07, 2016, 09:02:43 PM »
In anticipation of my new 3D's arrival, I bought 10 pounds of skin on pork belly and used the following cure that I found after digging thru page after page and forum after forum, none being much in agreement as to how much pink salt to use. Now, at day 6, turning the two separate 5 pound bellies every other day, they still don't have a firm feel like everyone suggests.

I'm wondering if I used too little pink salt?

The recipe calls for

1 tsp Pink Salt
3.75 Tbsp Salt
3.75 Tbsp Sugar

per 5 pounds.

Does that sound off? I may take the bellies out of the bags tonight, rinse, pat dry a bit, and put them back in the fridge on cooling racks to form a pedicle. Tomorrow, (Wednesday) my 3D is supposed to arrive, and I go back to work Thursday-Saturday and wouldn't be able to do anything until Sunday at the earliest, if I don't smoke them tomorrow.

If the recipe lacks enough pink salt, should I aim only for a hot smoke? Originally, I was planning on cold smoking only. I have a Foodsaver vacuum and chest freezer, so I can save this 10 pounds incase there isn't enough pink salt to properly cure it and protect it. Any advice welcome. I haven't done this in 10 years.

Tom- SF bay area

Smokin-It 3D
WSM
Anova Sous Vide

Tom

Re: First Bacon; Not Firming Up
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 09:06:20 PM »
And for further clarification, I plan to do the proper break in procedure first, following with the smoking of the bacon. I know there's likely better recipes for cure that use metric weight for each ingredient rather than volumetric. I'll probably go that route the next time.
Tom- SF bay area

Smokin-It 3D
WSM
Anova Sous Vide

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 09:18:09 PM »
I don't think you have enough salt or pink (nitrate) salt.
Basic Dry Cure
1Pound or 450 grams Kosher Salt
8 oz. or 225 Grams Sugar
2 oz. or 50 grams or 10 teaspoons Pink Salt- Sodium Nitrite
This makes enough cure to cure multiple slabs of belly. I detail the process in this posting.http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1797.15
You can smoke what you have or can add some cure for a few days until it firms up.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Tom

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 03:32:50 AM »
I'm inclined to redo the cure then. My only hesitation was wondering what it might do to the flavor. One of the slabs got a maple and bourbon addition. That one I had planned on smoking over sugar maple. The other batch I was going to smoke over hickory, try the two, see what I like, sort of thing.

I did just flip them again tonight, it was much firmer than it was at day 4.
Tom- SF bay area

Smokin-It 3D
WSM
Anova Sous Vide

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 10:39:26 AM »
I was somewhat intimidated by his salt box method, since you kind of have to be experienced in knowing how heavy to coat your belly, how much to shake off, so I was worried that I could end up with too much or too little pink salt.
Morton Tender Quick Cure (per pound of belly)
1 Tablespoon Morton Tender Quick

Tenderquick & Basic Dry Cure are Salt, Sugar, Sodium Nitrate and are interchangeable.  There is a series of pictures in the Dry Cured Bacon Post if you look for them that shows proper application of the cure. 
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 11:42:18 AM »
Tom, don't worry. I would just add a bit more salt and pink salt to the bags you are curing in and let them go a bit longer. I doubt it will be bad either way and then you won't mess with the flavor profile too much. I think that will firm it up. If it doesn't, I would still smoke it and go to 150 deg IT. While it might turn out to not be traditional bacon, it will be really good and can be used the same. Let us know how it goes. We live for pictures!  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 10:02:13 AM »
The long standing general rule-of-thumb when applying Cure #1/Pink Salt in dry form is "1 teaspoon per 5 pounds of meat."  Which equates to ~156ppm nitrite (plenty of cure in the context of short-term curing).
One level teaspoon being 5 to 6 grams of Cure #1/Pink Salt.

Why?

Cure #1/Pink Salt is formulated (6.25% nitrite) in such a way that when 4 ounces is applied to 100 pounds of meat the ingoing nitrite is 156ppm.

4 ounces to grams= ~113
100/5=20
113/20= 5.65 (~weight (in grams) of a teaspoon of Cure #1/Pink Salt)

Because the weight of a given volume of Cure #1/Pink Salt can vary and teaspoons can vary a bit in volume measured (capacity), it's a good idea to use a calculator and accurate gram scale (it helps with cure consistency from batch to batch and also ensures that ingredients aren't unnecessarily over-used and wasted): http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html

One pound is ~454 grams.
454x5=2270

Below is the calculation for 5 lbs. of meat.
Notice the amount of Cure #1/Pink Salt is consistent with what I detailed above.

Unfortunately, firmness of the meat isn't always a reliable way to judge the progress or effectiveness of cure.

Why?

Numerous factors can affect the firmness of cured meat.
Meat varies greatly in composition and quality.
Bellies, for example, can vary greatly in fat content, quality of the fat (soft fat responds to cure and salt differently than firmer fat), etc.
Some bellies expel appreciable liquid when cured and some don't, etc.

I hope this info helps.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 10:54:57 AM by DiggingDogFarm »
~Martin

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 08:26:01 PM »
I've seen the 1 tsp per 5 pounds of meat rule, but when I have looked up actual recipes, it is usually more like these amounts:
2 teaspoons for 5 pounds of belly: Ruhlman, Raichlen, Michael Symon
1/2 teaspoon per 1 pound of belly: amazingribs.com
2 teaspoons for 2-1/2 to 3 pounds of belly: Traeger Grills recipe

So you can see it varies a lot. I have also read that the MAXIMUM is 1 tsp per pound, but you would never want to use that much.

So Tom, if 1 tsp per 5 pounds is a general rule of thumb, then you should be fine to just continue on with your process.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 10:19:26 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 09:05:49 PM »
Kari, I learned what I know about equilibrium brining from Martin (DD Farm).  Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to follow his advice on anything related to curing meat....this guy knows his stuff!  By the way, that's the calculator I use for equilibrium brining; works great!

What he explains is how cure breaks down to parts per million.  There is a lot of confusion, among many, about the difference between cures like #1, #2, Tender Quick and Sugar Cure.  Once you understand the percentages of nitrites and/or nitrates in the cure, it makes more sense.  Martin understands this as well as anyone I've known.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Plan2build

• Keep Fit....Chase your Food!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 10:09:57 PM »
Amounts of cure (Nitrite) are critical, and Martin's calculator should be used as a curing "bible".  The concept is not complicated however.  One PPM of Nitrite (or part per million) is equal to 1mg per 1kg so 156 PPM is 156mg per kg.   So 5 pounds of meat equals 2.3 kg.  Our calculation will be 156 mg/kg multiplied by 2.3kg = 358.8mg Nitrite required.  Since Cure #1 contains 6.25% Nitrite, we divide the required amount of 358.8 by 0.0625 (the percentage) and get 5740.8 mg or 5.7408 grams.

So if you look at Martins explanation of the weight variance of a teaspoon ranging between 5 or 6 grams, it is correct.  All my experimentation is based on Martin's calculator, and based on some guidance from the USDA and FDA, I would not exceed the 156 PPM limits unnecessarily, and in fact I operate more in the 120-140PPM range.

Using Brian's recipe for basic dry cure, and the basic calculations above, you have enough Nitrite to cure 20kg of meat at 156PPM.  So if you have a 5kg belly (I wish I could get them this size) you would use 1/4 of the dry cure.

Hope this helps clarify PPM calculations.  Follow Martin's calculator or Brian's basic dry cure, and you will be OK.
Gregor from NJ
Model #2 Owner, Husband of a vegetarian (talk about making it hard!?!?), and proud daddy!

Tom

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 11:42:52 AM »
This is all quite reassuring. I ended up not adding any more cure. The meat has firmed up fairly well, but just not quite as firm as what I remember back when doing this with my dad years ago.

Tonight, I'll rinse and pat it dry and put it back in the fridge on racks, then plan to smoke it on Sunday. I'd really like to do a cold smoke if I can. But since it's my first batch of bacon on my own, and likely to be the first of many, I don't mind going with a hot smoke to an internal of 150 if necessary. I can always play with it later.
Tom- SF bay area

Smokin-It 3D
WSM
Anova Sous Vide

Tom

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 11:45:00 AM »
And actually, I meant to add, I have tons of scales, so the next time I'll use metric equivalents. My espresso hobby has me using scales that measure down to .o1 grams.
Tom- SF bay area

Smokin-It 3D
WSM
Anova Sous Vide

Plan2build

• Keep Fit....Chase your Food!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 12:27:52 PM »
0.01g for coffee....that is precise!!!
Gregor from NJ
Model #2 Owner, Husband of a vegetarian (talk about making it hard!?!?), and proud daddy!

Tom

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 01:22:33 PM »
So I'll be taking the bacon out of the cure tonight, rinsing, patting it dry as best I can, then back in the fridge for the pedicle formation. I'd like to use the cold smoke plate that I bought and I was thinking/wondering if I could just use a 2 liter bottle of water frozen, instead of buying a bag of ice?  I can only make about a dozen ice cubes at a time with the silcone trays I have, and I'd rather not have to drive to the store each time I want to cold smoke, for a bag of ice. Or deal with a full pan of water if I freeze a full pan in the chest freezer.

I had read somewhere about folks using 2 liter plastic bottles, does anyone here have any experience with them? It would be nice to have a reuseable heat sink like that. Especially if it eliminates having to deal with a big tray of water each time.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 01:50:45 PM by Tom »
Tom- SF bay area

Smokin-It 3D
WSM
Anova Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 03:25:46 PM »
Hey Tom, that should work fine since the bottles are on the cool side of the plate.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN