Author Topic: Pork Rinds  (Read 2365 times)

Walt

Pork Rinds
« on: February 22, 2016, 09:16:32 PM »
Yesterday, I cold smoked a 5lb slab of belly useing pecan, for 6 hours, after a week in the dry cure. Warm smoked useing pecan for 2 hours until IT 150.  I removed the skin trying to keep the fat on the bacon & the skin clean. The bacon turned out great.

Today, the skin was cut into, roughly, 2 inch squares. Then placed on a seafood rack and put in the smoker @ 210 for 6 hours. The jerky fan was used for the entire smoke / dehydration.

Tomorrow, I will deep fry the pecan smoked & cured rinds & enjoy them with some recently ripened venison basturma & breasola.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 10:49:13 PM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Pork Rinds
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 06:37:44 PM »
I can't wait to see the results Walt! I hate to waste good pig skin.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 07:08:54 PM »
Definitely can't wait to see how this turns out!  I love pork rinds, and starting with smoked skin should be a real treat!  Hmm... that gives me an idea! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 09:53:26 PM »
No pictures of the final result. Fried them up until they puffed up and were floating, a minute or two. Salted them and let cool so they drain and get brittle. Great smokey flavor. Disappeared very rapidly. Will do every time I make bacon, from now on.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill