Author Topic: Smoked and Sous Vide Pastrami!  (Read 13678 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Smoked and Sous Vide Pastrami!
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:00:51 PM »
Last week, I started an experiment....pastrami, using both the SI and the Anova sous vide cooker!  My thought process was that adding smoke to the corned beef, and then finishing in the SV, I would eliminate the need to steam the pastrami, and it will be very tender and moist.  The meat will come out of the bath at 5pm tomorrow (48 hours), so we'll see together if this was a success, or not!  I'm not afraid to post the "hits," and "misses!"

Saturday, 2/6/16:

I bought a 7.61 lb USDA Choice brisket flat from Sam's.  To fit in my brining container, and then the SV bath, and cut it in half.  If I were going to just smoke it, I wouldn't have cut it.  I made a batch of Pork Belly's (Brian) Corned Beef Brine.  Man, does this stuff smell good!  The meat in the pool, and in the fridge for a week!

Saturday, 2/13/16, early morning:

The meat got a good, thorough rinse after the brine, and got coated with this rub:

3 Tbsp. coarse black pepper (half fresh-ground, and half McCormick's...not easy grinding 3 Tbsp. with one of those plastic grinders! >:( )
2 Tbsp. ground coriander (could NOT find whole seeds anywhere local!)
1 Tsp. mustard powder
1 Tbsp. paprika
2 Tsp. onion powder
2 Tsp. granulated garlic

(This recipe was posted by Sneaky Zebra, but he included brown sugar.  I did not want sweet in this rub).

The two halves were re-sealed and back in the fridge for about the next 30 hours.

Sunday, 2/14/16:

I prep'd the #2 with 4-5 oz. of slivered cherry and one chunk of hickory.  My goal was 5 hours of low-temp smoke, so I didn't weigh the wood; just wanted smoke the whole time.  I used my #1 cold smoke plate above the wood box to keep the direct heat down.  I was not trying to thoroughly cook the meat, just smoke it.  No water pan, either.

The meat went in the smoker at 11 a.m, with the Auber set to 140.  With the slivered wood, and a chunk, I was able to keep smoke going for the next 5 hours, without having to add or go too high on temp.  Even at that temp, the meat hit 132 during the smoke.  It smelled fantastic!

I removed the meat from the smoker, and let it rest while the Anova heated up to 149.  I sealed the meat in FoodSaver bags, and plopped them in the hot tub, with time set to 48 hours.

Tuesday, 2/16/16:  After 48 hours in the drink, I pre-heated the oven to 550°, and dried the 2 halves.  They got a sear for about 8 minutes.  It came out golden brown, which looks different (obviously) from a fully-smoked pastrami.  I'm OK with that!

It sliced firm enough to hold together well, but was very tender!  The slices (and chunks) broke apart very easily.  I noticed that the halves did not shrink anywhere near what they would have, if I had left them in the smoker until done.  To me, this is one advantage of the SV finish.

So how about the taste???  Very good!  Brian's corned beef brine has a great taste, and the rub I used was flavorful...not overly-peppered, so it could be sliced a little thicker.  One thing I will do next time is either cut the salt back a bit, or make sure I don't go longer than 5 days in the brine.  It was almost too salty, but very good (notice I didn't say it was too salty).  I think I would prefer just a bit less salty...but the wife said it was fine!

All in all, I think this was a success, and look forward to trying different cuts, and playing with the recipes!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:02:39 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

icebob

Re: Smoked and Sous Vide Pastrami!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 08:43:40 PM »
Can't wait to see the result!
Bob from Cahokia, IL

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 09:35:26 PM »
I can't wait to taste the result! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 09:36:43 PM »
I'm thinking the long cook, in the SV, will make the smoke taste permeate all the meat, since it's in a sealed environment...can't "cook it away!"
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 01:38:24 AM »
Looks good...except for the first pic of the ribeye steaks! :o Your process looks solid. Eager to hear the results so I can try it. I'm curious if the sous vide has a positive effect on the smoke permeating and mellowing, maybe like accelerated aging.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 09:17:15 AM »
Can't wait Tony!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 07:44:49 PM »
Modified the original post! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 02:08:11 AM »
Sure looks good! As to the salt, did you soak it in plain water at all after you removed from the brine? I've seen recipes that do a plain water soak anywhere from an hour, to several hours. I assume to equalize excess surface salt.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 07:40:51 PM »
Sure looks good! As to the salt, did you soak it in plain water at all after you removed from the brine? I've seen recipes that do a plain water soak anywhere from an hour, to several hours. I assume to equalize excess surface salt.

No, I just gave it a good rinse in cold water, following Brian's pastrami routine for a "baseline."  I should have watered it for at least the last 12 hours.  Like I said, not too salty, but close.  Btw, the taste today is even better!  The smoke flavor came through much better today than it did yesterday (common, with most smoked things, after resting in the fridge, but I thought the 2 day swim might change that).  Really good flavor today!
Tony from NW Arkansas

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 10:48:21 AM »
Very interesting Tony. Glad you got good results. The finished meat looks very pink, more than normal I think. Is that just the way it came out in the picture or was it more pink than other meats you have done with pink salt? I may have to break down and get me one of those gadgets......
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 09:48:52 PM »
Bob, that color is accurate.  I actually use a color-calibrated monitor, and do a little post-processing in Adobe Lightroom (amateur photographer), so I try to get the colors I see as accurate as possible in my pics. 

With that being said, yes, this was much deeper red than anything I've cured before.  But, this was considerably more #1 pink salt than I've ever used before, too.  Brian's recipes calls for 25 g (5 Tsp.) of curing salt, and I bet that's what made the difference in the color. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 11:57:32 PM »
I was surprised by the color as well. Dont know that I've ever had magenta meat!
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

SconnieQ

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 12:02:03 AM »
Bob, that color is accurate.  I actually use a color-calibrated monitor, and do a little post-processing in Adobe Lightroom (amateur photographer), so I try to get the colors I see as accurate as possible in my pics. 

With that being said, yes, this was much deeper red than anything I've cured before.  But, this was considerably more #1 pink salt than I've ever used before, too.  Brian's recipes calls for 25 g (5 Tsp.) of curing salt, and I bet that's what made the difference in the color.

Your monitor might be color calibrated, but others might be viewing on non-calibrated monitors. Does look quite pink :o But I won't let that stop me from salivating.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 04:23:36 PM »

Your monitor might be color calibrated, but others might be viewing on non-calibrated monitors. Does look quite pink :o But I won't let that stop me from salivating.

Yep.  I looked at it on my monitor at work, and definitely more pink/magenta!  Wow....I'm spoiled with a monitor set to show true color!
Tony from NW Arkansas

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 06:36:10 PM »
We just look at color differently than you do Tony.....  :o  ;D  ;D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN