Author Topic: Chips or Chunks  (Read 5874 times)

donr827

Chips or Chunks
« on: February 03, 2016, 02:47:09 PM »
Would wood chunks be better to use then the chips?  It seems like the chips burn up quickly. Still feeling my way into smoking.
Don

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Chips or Chunks
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 02:51:13 PM »
Yes, I always use wood chunks.  However, there are some folks on the forum that will also mix in wood chips.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 03:18:03 PM »
Yes, I always use wood chunks.  However, there are some folks on the forum that will also mix in wood chips.
+1! Chunks are the way to go. As Steve said though some people do use chips on short smokes or mixed with chunks.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 03:20:01 PM »
Chunks definitely work better for long smokes IMHO. I usually use chips for lower temp smokes since I feel like it smokes better. Not really sure if that is true but it seems to me that is what I have seen.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 05:34:01 PM »
Chunks definitely work better for long smokes IMHO. I usually use chips for lower temp smokes since I feel like it smokes better. Not really sure if that is true but it seems to me that is what I have seen.

+1 I only use chips for low temp smokes because they start smoking at lower temps and stays smoking better than chunks at the lower temps. Chips are great for a jerky smoke where you smoke at temps of 100-140.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 06:51:22 PM »
I'm  a mixer.  I like the quick start of the chips and the duration of the chunks.  It also allows me to introduce a few more flavor profiles due to the light weight of the chips.  Using chunks, one might be lucky to get a couple of flavors.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 06:53:49 PM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 09:56:43 PM »
I only use chunks.  If I want smoke at a lower temp, I sliver the chunks into smaller pieces.  I've never used chips or pellets....I like to use what I have on-hand.  Btw, I recommend wood chunks from a quality source, like smokinlicious.com.  There really is a difference!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 11:12:52 AM »
I'm  a mixer.  I like the quick start of the chips and the duration of the chunks.  It also allows me to introduce a few more flavor profiles due to the light weight of the chips.  Using chunks, one might be lucky to get a couple of flavors.

Dave nailed it. Chips give a bunch of smoke off right from the start. Lets say you are doing some ribs. Set some apple chips in your tray along with a small chunk of hickory. The ribs will get hit with apple at the start of the cook and then finish up with hickory for the rest of the cook..........I am getting hungry now  ;D
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

Kaz

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 06:52:01 PM »
I agree with a mix, mixing the woods chips to start and finish with a chunk.
Kaz - Pittsburgh, PA

donr827

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 06:39:52 AM »
Thanks guys.  Will try some apple chunks on ribs this weekend.
Don

es1025

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 12:35:08 PM »
Chunks, you can always resize if necessary
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?