Author Topic: Newb seasoning smoker questions  (Read 9127 times)

Edward

Newb seasoning smoker questions
« on: December 05, 2015, 06:12:26 PM »
Divot makers post says 3 sample wood pieces & directions that came with the smoker says 2 peices. Did something change or does it even matter? 2 or 3 guys?
Also says to cover top of the wood box & bottom of the smoker with aluminum foil. Divot makers instructions say to use no foil in bold letters. Which one do I do ?
Both of these probably don't matter but trying to do everything to the point.
Any help would be appreciated
#3, Auber w/ wall mount probe, ThermalWorks BlueTherm Duo, Maverick ET-733 w/ wall mount probe

Edward

Re: Newb seasoning smoker questions
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 06:19:14 PM »
Also, is it necessary to include the wood chip screen for the seasoning?
#3, Auber w/ wall mount probe, ThermalWorks BlueTherm Duo, Maverick ET-733 w/ wall mount probe

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 06:45:54 PM »
Hey Edward, I need to get Steve to update his instructions.  Doesn't matter on the amount of wood, and no foil is needed anywhere.  The idea is to have enough wood that it will smoke for 3-4 hours....however much it takes.  You are baking off the machine oil, and coating the inside with smoke seasoning.  Don't over-complicate it. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Limey

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 06:52:41 PM »
Hi Ed and welcome from the Florida Keys. Do not sweat these decisions. Either two or three pieces of wood are fine. I did not foil anything when seasoning either of my #3s and I also left all the shelves in on both instances. The chip screen is irrelevant in seasoning. I actually leave mine in all the time  and find that it helps, actually prevents, the wood igniting. Others have different approaches (foiling, ramping up temperature). Poke around on this forum-lots of good information and helpful folks.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Limey

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 06:56:57 PM »
Ed, my post crossed with Tony's. He is absolutely correct-what you are doing is burning off all the pressing oils (which smell nasty btw) and coating all the surfaces with smoke.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 07:37:21 PM »
That would be great Tony, if you could get Steve to rewrite the seasoning instructions. They could be simplified, and clarified. Maybe you could write them. I didn't (and wouldn't) put the rails and racks in for seasoning. I end up putting these in the dishwasher after a smoke, and it is not necessary for these elements to be seasoned. They are stainless steel. If they were chrome-plated, then I would worry about rust, and would never wash them.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 07:44:03 PM »
Divot makers post says 3 sample wood pieces & directions that came with the smoker says 2 peices. Did something change or does it even matter? 2 or 3 guys?
Also says to cover top of the wood box & bottom of the smoker with aluminum foil. Divot makers instructions say to use no foil in bold letters. Which one do I do ?
Both of these probably don't matter but trying to do everything to the point.
Any help would be appreciated

Edward, no foil anywhere for seasoning, but foil the top of the wood box and bottom of the smoker for all cooks. I didn't include rack guides and racks when seasoning. Sample pieces of wood vary in size, so go ahead and use 3. Extra won't hurt for seasoning. For smokes though, you'll want to be more precise and weigh your wood.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 07:59:55 PM »
Edward,

Also this is a good way to clean up the smoker when it starts to get a bit greasy or funky!

Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 09:33:54 PM »
That would be great Tony, if you could get Steve to rewrite the seasoning instructions. They could be simplified, and clarified. Maybe you could write them. I didn't (and wouldn't) put the rails and racks in for seasoning. I end up putting these in the dishwasher after a smoke, and it is not necessary for these elements to be seasoned. They are stainless steel. If they were chrome-plated, then I would worry about rust, and would never wash them.

It's actually posted in the What to Do When It Arrives section, stickied as the first post. 

Seasoning Your New Smoker
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SconnieQ

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 10:30:22 PM »

It's actually posted in the What to Do When It Arrives section, stickied as the first post. 

Seasoning Your New Smoker

Excellently explained. Those are way better than that sheet of paper you receive with the smoker. Even though I studied the forum thoroughly before I received my smoker, I still put a lot of trust into the paper documentation that came with it. Too bad your seasoning instructions can't be part of the printed material. I'm sure there are people who don't ever read or participate in the forum (crazy as that may be).
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Edward

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 08:00:51 AM »
Thank all of you for reaching out. I agree, the instructions that come with the unit need some cleaning up. I had already read Divotmaker's seasoning post a few times before receiving the smoker yesterday & then before I got ready to light her off I sat down to read what came with the unit. I figured there would be no need for foil as I'm not cooking any meat but it was in steve's directions so that's why I asked.
   Also states on the directions we will need to attach the casters prior to sliding the drip plan in place- not true. When I read that I thought there wouldn't be enough clearance to slide the pan in without the casters but there is. I didn't want the casters on as I put the unit on a table. Sorry for being so detailed- I can't help it.
So I got her seasoned last night. That smell was amazing for awhile. Ready 2 put some ribs in her today when I get out the labor camp. Thanks for all your help!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 10:30:55 AM »
Edward, it is officially "rib day", I'm doing ribs today as well.  Good luck on your first smoke. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 11:29:31 AM »
We're actually working on a new manual that will come with the smokers.  So, the old documentation will be cleaned-up soon.
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 11:38:04 AM »
I guess I'm the guy that doesn't ask for directions when I'm lost.  I haven't seen the documentation for my smoker since the day I opened the box.  LOL! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Limey

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 02:42:04 PM »
I never got any with mine.