Author Topic: To brine or inject or brine and inject or to use your injection in your brine  (Read 4842 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
I have become a true believer in brining for pork and briskets, but I also normally inject the briskets also.

But I have thinking about using my injection in my brine, saving a step. After reading KY Smoke (Jeff) post on his modified brine I thought I would post the question and gets others options.

Below I have posted my brine and injection I use for my brisket. So my thought is that if I add my injection to the brine, I will need to reduce the salt in the brine.

Maybe Tony will have some insights here, but here is my current thinking, please correct me if I am wrong!

For the injection Minor's Beef Base is 38 % sodium at 1 T per 4 cups of water. Since I am using 2 T per 4 cups it would be around 78 % sodium.

Since the brine should be at around 6%, I will need to reduce the salt in the brine?

Love to hear some thought here!

Brine ingredients:
1 ½  gallon of water
285 g fine sea salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1.5 T garlic powder
1.5 onion powder

Injection marinade:
4 cups water (bring to a boil and then add the rest of the ingredients, simmer for 15 minutes)
2 T Minors beef stock
1 T Minors Au Jus
1 t. Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce

Thanks Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
I've never experienced an injection that was saltier than the brine.  My rational for that is that unrinsed brine is always too salty on the plate.  Saying that the injection is saltier isn't computing. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
I don't know, Greg.  Seems like the method you're using now would be better than trying to combine the two.  I am surprised at the sodium content in the Minor's mixes!  I just use Swanson's beef stock or broth in my injection, and add a little more salt, and it's not too salty. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
I don't know, Greg.  Seems like the method you're using now would be better than trying to combine the two.  I am surprised at the sodium content in the Minor's mixes!  I just use Swanson's beef stock or broth in my injection, and add a little more salt, and it's not too salty.

Tony,

My guess also is that you are better to do the two tasks separate,  but thought I throw it out there and see what others had tried.

Minor's makes a low sodium version also, but I just add more water to reduce the sodium content. I have tried lot's of different broths and for me Minor's taste is spot on.

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
I'm going to order some of the Minor's, just haven't yet.  Gets great reviews!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
I'm going to order some of the Minor's, just haven't yet.  Gets great reviews!

I think you will be impressed.

Greg

Walt

Greg, many of the spices you may use wont dissolve. Therefore, they will be limited to seasoning the surface of the meat while the salts & sugars will migrate through the meat. I primarily use the injection to transfer these non-soluable flavors throught the meat. Pork shoulder is more forgiveing if pulled or shreaded (since it mixes the bark throughout) but I find (as well as my test subjects) the brisket is noticeably not as good removing either the injection or the brine. However, they have been good every way I have tried including Ed's method. Now, I exclusively brine & inject. Hope this helps.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Greg, many of the spices you may use wont dissolve. Therefore, they will be limited to seasoning the surface of the meat while the salts & sugars will migrate through the meat. I primarily use the injection to transfer these non-soluable flavors throught the meat. Pork shoulder is more forgiveing if pulled or shreaded (since it mixes the bark throughout) but I find (as well as my test subjects) the brisket is noticeably not as good removing either the injection or the brine. However, they have been good every way I have tried including Ed's method. Now, I exclusively brine & inject. Hope this helps.

Walt,

My thought was that if the brine contained beef broth (which is really what the injection is), that is would pickup the flavor while brining.

But other than saving time, I do like pork that has been brined and injected.

Injection marinade:
4 cups water (bring to a boil and then add the rest of the ingredients, simmer for 15 minutes)
2 T Minors beef stock
1 T Minors Au Jus
1 t. Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce
Strain the above through a very fine mesh strainer before injecting.

Greg