Author Topic: Johnny's?  (Read 2811 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Johnny's?
« on: October 24, 2015, 04:31:50 PM »
Does anyone use Johnny's French Dip as their beef injection?  I'm contemplating using it as a base for my beef shoulder injection tonight.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Johnny's?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 04:48:36 PM »
Does anyone use Johnny's French Dip as their beef injection?  I'm contemplating using it as a base for my beef shoulder injection tonight.

Dave,

I have tried it and I really did not like the taste (maybe just me). I really like Minor's Beef base, but it's not sold in grocery stores.

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 05:02:13 PM »
Hmmm. Maybe I will try cutting it with some other liquids. My first impression was that it might be a little strong prepared per the instructions.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 03:52:01 PM »
I used it for an Au Jus for French Dip sandwiches from a chuck roast that I smoked. I though it was really good. I mixed dome of my juices from the toast in with it and it turned out awesome.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 04:04:37 PM »
Dave,

If you get a chance pick up Minor's Beef base, it is used in lots of competition and it tastes like beef!

You just mix 1 T to about 3-4 cups of boiling water and that's it. Sometimes I also add a bit of the Minor's Au Jus Prep in to it.

You can buy it on Amazon, RD and BJ's.

Greg