Author Topic: Brine Container  (Read 8947 times)

pargolfr2003

Brine Container
« on: September 05, 2015, 06:37:34 AM »
I've been thinking about getting a Briner Jr but not sure if I actually need one. I've been brining my poultry in a large glass bowl but I always like having a specific tool for every job so toying with the idea of throwing down on a briner. What are you using?
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Brine Container
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 07:46:58 AM »
For small items, I use gallon or 2 gallon zip bags.  For bigger items, like butts, I use a large tupperware container.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 10:01:57 AM »
Tim, I work for a school district and had one of the cafeteria ladies save me a 3 gallon bucket that strawberries were delivered in. It works great for a brining bucket and was free!
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 01:32:40 PM »
You can also go to or call some of the fast food places in your area and see if they will save you a food grade bucket with lid. As they get oil or other items in them. Normally will just give it to you and then you can wash and have a brine container.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 05:55:53 PM »
The Briner Jr.  Love it, and have never regretted getting it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Durangosmoker

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 06:22:07 PM »
What I like about my Briner Jr is that it fits in my smallish refrigerator and still leaves room for the other essentials.  I also like the "plate" that holds the meat under the brine.  No regrets on buying it, and I even managed to find a place in my overstuffed cabinets to store it when not in use.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 06:39:19 PM »
What I like about my Briner Jr is that it fits in my smallish refrigerator and still leaves room for the other essentials.  I also like the "plate" that holds the meat under the brine.  No regrets on buying it, and I even managed to find a place in my overstuffed cabinets to store it when not in use.

Also great points!  +1!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

pargolfr2003

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 07:00:05 PM »
All good points. How big is that Bruner Jr. Will it hold a turkey breast?
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 01:37:25 AM »
I bought a container at my local restaurant supply store. Many of these stores are open to the public. Madison WI has a couple of these stores, so you might have one in Fayetteville (similar size population). They have the clear plastic food-grade containers that restaurants use, in a multitude of sizes from 1 gallon to 5 gallon and everything in-between, and either square, or round, short or tall, just measure your space in the refrigerator to find one that fits. All come with lids. And are considerably less expensive than the Briner Jr. It's easy to find ways to weigh down something that floats, like with a plate, and a ziplock bag of ice on the top. I've seen many other clever ideas on weighing things down that restaurants use. You don't really need a special gadget for that.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 09:30:02 AM »
All good points. How big is that Bruner Jr. Will it hold a turkey breast?

Tim,

Yes it should hold a turkey breast just fine. For turkeys I bought Turkey Bags by True Liberty Bags. They cost about $1.00 each off of Amazon.

Greg

coachB

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 05:34:38 PM »
I've got the Briner and Briner Jr. and love them both.  The hold-down plate works with no muss, no fuss simplicity.  I do not regret the purchase of either item. 
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 09:06:04 PM »
I bought one of these at a local restaurant supply store:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E0JMCC

I like that it is square verses the round of the Briner/Briner Jr.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 06:16:38 PM »
Refrigerator space is just too much of a premium at our house.  A 12 pack or 18 pack ice chest and a bag of ice is what I use for up to 24 hour brines.  The ice chests are narrow enough and deep enough to minimize the amount of brine required. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NVW-SSV

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 09:03:28 PM »
Went to Sam's Club, asked at the pastries/deli area if they had any empty cake icing containers....received two 32lb containers, approx 7.5 in. bottom LENGTH ( and 9.5 in. at top) x 9.5 in bottom WIDTH (and 11.5 in. at top) by 15 in. HEIGHT.   Will work well for brining 2x butts.    Food-Grade "5"

All for the great price of FREE-99
Jody from western NC

Smokin' It #2 - Auber 1200 & bypassed
3.5D Wifi (07/18)

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 09:57:01 PM »
Nice score, Jody!
Tony from NW Arkansas