Author Topic: Jerky Dryer for the start of Smoked Salmon?  (Read 2680 times)

nhns4

Jerky Dryer for the start of Smoked Salmon?
« on: June 22, 2015, 08:32:45 PM »
Sort of thinking out loud to myself but before I had the SI 2 I would leave the Door to my coal smoker open a tad for a draft to help dry the fish out at the begining of the smoke to get a nice Pellical (Unsure of spelling lol) on the fish.
Does anyone else open the door early on to get a draft going or use the Jerky dryer in that way to start? Got a freezer full of salmon and steelhead just waiting to hit the racks.
And if im totally off base shoot me some tips.
Nick from West Michigan
SI #2

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
Re: Jerky Dryer for the start of Smoked Salmon?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 07:46:56 PM »
Sort of thinking out loud to myself but before I had the SI 2 I would leave the Door to my coal smoker open a tad for a draft to help dry the fish out at the begining of the smoke to get a nice Pellical (Unsure of spelling lol) on the fish.
Does anyone else open the door early on to get a draft going or use the Jerky dryer in that way to start? Got a freezer full of salmon and steelhead just waiting to hit the racks.
And if im totally off base shoot me some tips.

Resurrecting a really old post but I like to air dry my salmon or kokanee at least 2 hours and usually more to get a good pellicle on it. I have always done it in the house on the counter when home but when we are camping my is not really pleased with me when I fill the table with fish and then head off fishing for the morning. I am wondering the same with the jerky fan? I am thinking it might work? Another thought I had is making a screen that will fit into the door opening (with door lifted off). Any thoughts? I can try here in Arizona but the climate and humidity at 10% is a lot different than up in the Pacific NW.
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 10:04:06 PM »
Look up a company called 'Security Scree Masters'.  They make those virtually indestructible window screens out of stainless steel. You might be able to purchase s large enough piece from them so that you can form a 90 degree bend on all four sides and slide over your smoker.   Really stout stuff.  0.035 gauge 304 stainless steel.   Should last for years/decades. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 10:15:30 PM »
Thanks Sarge, I don't think it has to be that stout but that would work. Even a simple aluminum framed screen that fit snug into the opening???
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!