Author Topic: Question on injecting  (Read 9297 times)

damnfingers

• USN Retired/Gov't Contractor Retired/Life is good!
Question on injecting
« on: June 03, 2015, 12:41:42 PM »
I know it's normal to inject before smoking/cooking but has anyone ever tried injecting during the "rest" period?  It seems to me the meat is more amenable to absorbing liquid at that time...when I inject a raw slab of Boston Butt the injection doesn't seem to do much except ooze out the injection hole when I push the needle in and inject a little bit further away.  It seems like it would take less injection liquid also...just curious but I think I may try it.
Gene - Smoke lover from Saucier, Mississippi
Happy owner of SI#2 since Christmas 2014

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Question on injecting
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 12:44:57 PM »
I know it's normal to inject before smoking/cooking but has anyone ever tried injecting during the "rest" period?  It seems to me the meat is more amenable to absorbing liquid at that time...when I inject a raw slab of Boston Butt the injection doesn't seem to do much except ooze out the injection hole when I push the needle in and inject a little bit further away.  It seems like it would take less injection liquid also...just curious but I think I may try it.

I have never done this, but I have seen others use this method.

The trick when injecting is to cover the hole you just injected with a finger and then do the next injection :)

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 01:54:35 PM »

I have never done this, but I have seen others use this method.

The trick when injecting is to cover the hole you just injected with a finger and then do the next injection :)

Greg

Greg, does this limit the number of injection spots to the number of free fingers?  LOL!  How about plugging each hole with a sliver of garlic clove?  If one is waiting until the end of a smoke to add liquid, something like Jeff Philips' finishing sauce is worth consideration.  He has a recipe for a thin, vinegar based finish sauce to add moisture to pulled pork.  I usually pull my pork butt in a foil pan that allows the meat to be coated in its natural juices. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 11:47:35 PM »
How many injection points do folks typically use here on a various pieces of meat (e.g. brisket, pork butt, etc..)? I have an injector with two tips also, one with a tip that only pushes liquid through the tip and another that has holes in the sides of the needle.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 05:09:31 AM »
How many injection points do folks typically use here on a various pieces of meat (e.g. brisket, pork butt, etc..)? I have an injector with two tips also, one with a tip that only pushes liquid through the tip and another that has holes in the sides of the needle.

Injection at 1" increments, one hole at the end of the needle.

Greg

Limey

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 05:35:45 PM »
+1 on Greg's comment. If you use the multi hole needle with solids at all in the marinade it will plug up in my experience.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 07:38:56 PM »
Gene, try brining a Boston butt and you won't have to worry about injection.  Juciest pulled pork you'll ever have, and no need to inject!

Brined Butt for Pulled Pork
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

damnfingers

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 11:01:01 AM »
Tony (DM) - I have tried brining and agree it was good BUT (😀) not as good as the injected butt I did yesterday.  I went ahead and injected it with Tony Chacere's Cajun Style Creole Butter before cooking and let it sit in the refrigerator for 18 hours in a rub I'd found in a book my wife had got me, "Slow Fire".  I had tried the rub once before and thought it was too salty so I modified it a bit and this time it was perfect.  I coated the butt in a mixture of mustard and Cattleman's "Tangy Gold" before I rubbed it.  The butt took FOREVER to cook, missed supper, but I was able to take it out just in time to let it sit for 30 minutes before I had to pull it before I went to bed. It was the juiciest butt and the best tasting pulled pork I've managed to cook yet...it was hard to stop nibbling and it tasted just as good cold when I sampled it this morning.

Carp210

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 11:27:26 AM »
Very interesting pork butt.  I would love to see you do a detailed write up with your modified rub recipe, cooking times and of course a lot of photos. If not this time maybe on your next butt.  I'm drooling just thinking about it.
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 09:59:37 PM »
Good input, Gene.  I use Tony C's injections a lot, but never have on a pork butt.  I'll have to try it...still going to brine, though. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

damnfingers

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 10:47:12 PM »
Carp...I'll do that next time...probably in a couple of weeks.

grogorat

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 08:45:59 AM »
Any suggestions on what brand of injector to buy?  I'm assuming stainless steel is the way to go but I'm not sure which one to buy.
I see Grill Beast(?), Bayou Classic, and some others.  Not sure if I want to spend $$$ on the grease gun type.

Gary from Houston
Smokin-It #2

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 07:25:26 PM »
Do you have a farm supply store in your area? In Wisconsin, we have Farm & Fleet. Go there and buy the biggest syringe they carry (used for injecting livestock).
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 08:59:52 PM »
Any suggestions on what brand of injector to buy?  I'm assuming stainless steel is the way to go but I'm not sure which one to buy.
I see Grill Beast(?), Bayou Classic, and some others.  Not sure if I want to spend $$$ on the grease gun type.

I have a KitchenAid kit I got at WallyWorld.  Works great, and has 2 size needles.  I think it was about $14.
Tony from NW Arkansas

grogorat

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 01:47:07 PM »
I'm in suburban Houston so no on the farm supply store access without having to drive to the outskirts.  I'll probably just order it from Amazon.  The Bayou Classic is around $16, I think.
Gary from Houston
Smokin-It #2