Author Topic: "Smokinlicious.com" wood  (Read 70618 times)

OFFSHORE GINGER

Re: "Smokinlicious.com" wood
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2015, 08:47:01 PM »
I have used MGW a couple of times now, and you will definitely get more wood from that order.  I just got 3 bags of cherry, apple, and mesquite from MGW that will keep me in business for quite a while!
That is so good to hear and not to mention the free shipping alone ...... considering I ordered there Mesquite , Maple , Oak , and Beechnut .
[I[I .............

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2015, 08:41:04 PM »
As you all know, I've always recommended Fruitawood and Maine Grilling Wood.  Nothing wrong with them, but I believe the quality of the Smokinlicious wood is head and shoulders above both of them.  No bark, and correct smoking moisture content.  No foiling, no belch, just good thin blue smoke!  When you use up your MGW, give them a try!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2015, 08:44:26 PM »
As you all know, I've always recommended Fruitawood and Maine Grilling Wood.  Nothing wrong with them, but I believe the quality of the Smokinlicious wood is head and shoulders above both of them.  No bark, and correct smoking moisture content.  No foiling, no belch, just good thin blue smoke!  When you use up your MGW, give them a try!

I just received 19 lbs of cherry wood from them and it has no bark and super clean.

Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2015, 08:46:29 PM »

...and it has no bark and super clean.

It's so pretty, I almost hate to smoke it...almost! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

H3

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2015, 11:11:21 AM »
I received my box of wood from Smokinlicious on Friday. I ordered White Oak, Cherry and Maple. I usually get my wood from Maine Grilling Wood so I was excited to see how it would compare. I made chicken wings with the oak and they were very good but not enough smoke flavor for me. The wood burned great. Sunday I made chicken breasts with only olive oil on them and tried the Cherry. They turned out to be the best chicken breasts ever. The smoke flavor was so good, BBQ sauce was not needed at all. I did not boat the wood like I normally do and I had no problems at all. Bottom line is I like the Smokinlicious wood better, but I will still buy Apple from MGW. Try some, you won't be sorry.
Howard from Panama City Beach

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2015, 12:09:55 PM »
Good to know, Howard.   I have ordered a couple of times from MGW and have been happy with their wood.   I just ordered cherry, sugar maple, and mesquite, so it will be a while before I need more wood, but I may give smokinlicious a shot.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2015, 08:50:11 PM »
I made chicken wings with the oak and they were very good but not enough smoke flavor for me.

Not enough wood?  Sounds like you're otherwise happy - great!  It does burn very well.  I haven't used their oak, but the maple, hickory and cherry is fantastic.
Tony from NW Arkansas

H3

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2015, 10:15:55 AM »
I used about 5oz. I think I'm just used to apple. I had the leftovers for dinner last night and the time in the fridge helped them a lot. I think the oak would be perfect for shrimp. I'll be trying that this week.
Howard from Panama City Beach

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2015, 03:23:07 PM »
I used Beech this past weekend for two slaps of Rib's , and in my opinion it was the best smoke or taste that I have had so far .
[I[I .............

DivotMaker

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2015, 10:01:16 PM »
I used about 5oz. I think I'm just used to apple.

Funny how wood smoke flavor profiles are no different from our taste for rubs and sauces!  Personally, I can't stand apple smoked wood - but I'm definitely the oddball on that (it seems).  Love the other fruits, especially cherry, just not apple!  This is why wood recommendations are almost pointless; you just don't know what you like until you try it!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Grampy

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2015, 07:56:35 AM »
"Funny how wood smoke flavor profiles are no different from our taste for rubs and sauces!  Personally, I can't stand apple smoked wood - but I'm definitely the oddball on that (it seems).  Love the other fruits, especially cherry, just not apple!  This is why wood recommendations are almost pointless; you just don't know what you like until you try it!"
_____________________________________________________________________________________

You are absolutely correct Tony because I am just the opposite. My favorites are Pecan, Hickory, and Mesquite. I like the Apple wood too but do not like the Cherry.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2015, 02:19:26 PM »
Just placed me an order of some Smokinlicious wood!  Got the 1 cu ft box with 3 types of wood.  Red oak, hickory and wild cherry.  Looking forward to giving it a try!

Thanks to all for the info!

By the way, I informed them I found out about them via this forum. Maybe they will eventually find out about SI and add them to their list of manufacturers?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 02:25:49 PM by Libohunden »
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2015, 09:58:48 PM »
By the way, I informed them I found out about them via this forum. Maybe they will eventually find out about SI and add them to their list of manufacturers?

They're actually updating the list soon.  Good folks, over there, and I really like this wood!  I've used the hickory, cherry and maple now, and no combustion with any of them!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2015, 11:15:50 PM »
I almost got sugar maple instead of Cherry. But I did send a note asking for a sample of 2 pieces of sugar maple to try. I'll let you know if they send it!  If so, that will be considered great customer service in my book!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2015, 10:46:49 PM »
I almost got sugar maple instead of Cherry. But I did send a note asking for a sample of 2 pieces of sugar maple to try. I'll let you know if they send it!  If so, that will be considered great customer service in my book!

No doubt!  You should send an email to Donna (at info@smokinlicious.com) to make sure she saw the request.  She's great!
Tony from NW Arkansas