Author Topic: "Smokinlicious.com" wood  (Read 70602 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: "Smokinlicious.com" wood
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 06:07:34 PM »
I received my shipped of cherry wood from smokinlicious.com today. Cost was $35.00 for 19 lbs.

Thanks Tony again for letting us know about them!

Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 07:33:23 PM »
No problem, Greg!  Hope you like it as well as I do!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RSNovi

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 07:40:04 PM »
Looks like nice clean wood.  I am still learning about smoking myself, but I know a little bit about wood from my wood stove.  I hang out at hearth.com like I hang out at these forums.

That wood would be considered green and too much moisture to burn in a wood stove creating excessive creosote.  25% moisture content is usually considered the maximum threshold.  I wonder how that would taste in the smoker.

Not trying to be a downer, just trying to learn.
Chris - Michigan
SM025
PG500
Tappecue
Maverick 735
iGrill 1

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 07:47:31 PM »
Looks like nice clean wood.  I am still learning about smoking myself, but I know a little bit about wood from my wood stove.  I hang out at hearth.com like I hang out at these forums.

That wood would be considered green and too much moisture to burn in a wood stove creating excessive creosote.  25% moisture content is usually considered the maximum threshold.  I wonder how that would taste in the smoker.

Not trying to be a downer, just trying to learn.

Total apples and oranges.  It works fantastic in a smoker, and the food tastes great.  First, this is not wood stove quantity, or length of burn.  We're talking a few ounces here, not pounds.  The advantage of the higher moisture content is the wood is more prone to smoldering, not burning.  I haven't had any instances of wood combusting with this wood, unlike just about every other source I've used!  Just great BBQ.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 07:54:57 PM »
The  moisture content of the wood received is 20 percent, I have some other wood I bought on Amazon that is way to dry. You can tell by the weight of the wood and how it burns in the smoker.

My only thoughts is the way they say to store the wood, which is to keep it in an area that is well circulated. I live in a very high humidity environment and normally vacuum sealed my wood. I plan to give them a call tomorrow and get their thoughts on this.

Other than that, the wood looks clean and should work great in the smoker.

Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 09:36:55 PM »
The  moisture content of the wood received is 20 percent, I have some other wood I bought on Amazon that is way to dry. You can tell by the weight of the wood and how it burns in the smoker.

My only thoughts is the way they say to store the wood, which is to keep it in an area that is well circulated. I live in a very high humidity environment and normally vacuum sealed my wood. I plan to give them a call tomorrow and get their thoughts on this.

Other than that, the wood looks clean and should work great in the smoker.

Greg

My thoughts on storage, too, Greg!  Talk to Donna - she's great.
Tony from NW Arkansas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 01:36:17 PM »
I called smokinlicious.com and spoke with Donna today. I explained that the humidity here in Florida can be quite high, so for larger batches of wood I normally vacuum seal the wood. I explained to her that if it is vacuum sealed the moisture level could not drop. She agreed, but pointed out here concern that it may allow for mold. Donna did say for their larger commercial customers they also vacuum seal, but inject nitrogen.

It sounds like worse case, if it does grow mold just hit it with a vinegar/water solution mix.

Greg 

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 02:32:35 PM »
I would think that mold requires air.  Vacuum sealed and kept out of direct sunlight should alleviate mold concerns with only some great exceptions. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 03:28:23 PM »
I would think that mold requires air.  Vacuum sealed and kept out of direct sunlight should alleviate mold concerns with only some great exceptions.

Dave,

I agree, I have a bunch of wood vacuum sealed and I have not seen any problems, plus it keeps the bugs out :)

Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 10:19:16 PM »
I haven't yet, but I'm probably going to vac bag the bulk of my new wood.
Tony from NW Arkansas

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2015, 12:39:34 PM »
I know this might be a stupid question but is there something wrong with the wood that Steve has to offer ( Smokin- It ) considering it can be had in smaller quantities (4 lb - bag )@ $ 12.99 ?   
[I[I .............

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2015, 02:26:53 PM »
Not at all, but with the price and shipping cost, you could get more wood from other suppliers.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2015, 03:05:05 PM »
Not at all, but with the price and shipping cost, you could get more wood from other suppliers.

Also you can get a greater variety at some of the other suppliers.

Greg

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2015, 06:06:37 PM »
WOW ...........now I really feel stupid considering I went to order two bag's of wood from ( Somkin - It ) for $ 12.99 each with shipping cost's at $ 15 dollars & something , and instead ended up ordering 4 bags of wood from Maine Grilling Woods for $ 59.96 with free shipping on any size order small or large .
[I[I .............

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2015, 08:23:19 PM »
I have used MGW a couple of times now, and you will definitely get more wood from that order.  I just got 3 bags of cherry, apple, and mesquite from MGW that will keep me in business for quite a while!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2