Author Topic: Smoked (Guinness) Beef Stew  (Read 3099 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Smoked (Guinness) Beef Stew
« on: April 29, 2015, 04:02:13 PM »
One of my favorite things to make is Guinness Beef Stew, so today I decided to try a new twist and cook it in the smoker. I did not have Guinness so instead I use Murphy's Irish Stout.

I will update and post the recipe once I pull the stew out of the smoker in another hour.

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Smoked (Guinness) Beef Stew
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 08:34:05 PM »
This turned out really good, just a bit smokey with a taste BBQ. I smoked the chuck for 4 hours till 190 degrees, pulled and then added the rest of the ingredients and smoked for 3 more hours. The chuck and the potatoes were still not as tender as I would have liked. I pulled and then in a large stockpot on medium high cooked for another 50 minutes. The end result was a nice tasting stew that had a nice smoke flavor.

Also I added a bit of salt and pepper (to taste) when mean add some an taste.

Next time I will most likely smoke the chuck and then just finish in a dutch oven.

Smoked (Guinness) Beef Stew
2.5 oz. of Cherry and 2.5 oz. Apple wood

2.5-3 lbs. boneless chuck roast
1 large sweet onion (cut into 1” chunks)
3 cans Swanson 100% natural beef broth
2 6oz. Centro tomato paste (mix with some of the beef broth)
1 bottle Guinness or Guinness Extra Stout (the extra has a more bitter taste).
2 T brown sugar
2 T Apple cider vinegar
2 t minced garlic
2 bay leafs
2 T flour (mix with some of the beef broth)
½ lb. bacon
6 carrots - 1 ½ cups (cut 1” long crosswise on a diagonal)
4 cups Yukon gold potatoes – or 8-10 red potatoes with skin on (cut into 1” pieces)
1 sprigs thyme (or ½ t dried thyme) optional
½ t rosemary 
1 T Worcestershire sauce 

1 Bag frozen peas (add last 15 minutes) Optional

Pat dry the roast and then season with your favorite rub then coat with yellow mustard. Place in smoker, install the temperature probe, add water pan and set smoker to 240 degrees.

When the roast hits 195 degrees (about 5 hours) remove from smoker. Place roast on cutting board and cut into 1” pieces and then add to roasting pan. Tear up about half the bacon and add with the rest of the ingredients to the pan. Cover with aluminum foil and return to smoker.
Set smoker to 250 degrees, remove roast after 5 hours.

Check to make sure roast is tender and so are the veggies. Remove and place in a large stock pot, add cornstarch to thicken, salt and pepper to taste, and then add frozen peas, cover and then cook for another 20 minutes.

*Next time, once meat reaches 195 degrees, remove and place in Dutch oven with the rest of the ingredients. Place in oven at 325 degrees and cook for two hours. 

Remove from oven, taste and add any water or cornstarch to thicken.      

Greg
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:29:27 PM by gregbooras »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 09:13:12 PM »
Really nice stew, Greg!  I think your plan to smoke the meat, and finish in the Dutch oven is solid.  Our smokers do wonders, but a stew needs a long soak in the crock pot or Dutch oven.

By the way - what rub did you use on the meat, and did the bacon wrap affect any noticeable taste?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:14:53 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 09:21:05 PM »
Really nice stew, Greg!  I think your plan to smoke the meat, and finish in the Dutch oven is solid.  Our smokers do wonders, but a stew needs a long soak in the crock pot or Dutch oven.

By the way - what rub did you use on the meat, and did the bacon wrap affect any noticeable taste?

Hey Tony,

I used the bacon to help keep the meat from drying out with the smoke and added a bit of flavor. I added about half of it to the stew and it tasted pretty good.

For the rub I used my rub see below. Overall a nice dinner, leftovers and a bit to freeze for another time.

This is a recipe I have been making for years, without the smoke. I have posted the non smoke version also.

BBQ Rub – Makes 1.5 cups
Ingredients:

1 cup Turbinado sugar (ground fine in a coffee grinder 3 seconds or so)
½ cup Domino Pourable Brown Sugar (Brownulated Light Brown Sugar)
1 T onion powder
2 T granulated garlic powder
4 T smoked Spanish paprika
2 t ground mustard
1 t cumin
3 T Guajillo chili powder
1 t ground black pepper
2 T Himalayan x-fine sea salt
Directions:
Grind the Turbinado sugar and then add all ingredients into a food processor and mix until well blended. Remove and place in an airtight container

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 09:23:53 PM »
Thanks Greg!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!