Author Topic: Stickies  (Read 2918 times)

1stlink

Stickies
« on: February 19, 2015, 06:27:08 AM »
First off thank you very much for providing this website. There is without a doubt a ton of information and advice available on this site. That said it is difficult at times to try to find answers to questions that have been answered several times throughout the forum.
Many times the most important and informative post is buried amongst many many others that while helpful are not the most informative.
Stickies created by the administrators and posted at the head of each topic would be in my opinion be very helpful.
Hopefully this is something that can be accomplished without a tremendous amount of work and something that the hosting web site is capable of handling.
Again thank you very much for providing and maintaining this site.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Stickies
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:35:52 AM »
There are some stickies in some of the sections already. But, I see your point. It might be helpful to have a few more. But you have to be careful about getting too many per section.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

1stlink

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 10:59:08 AM »
You are right Gregg, Now that you mention it I do remember seeing some highlighted posts on top of some sections, I just didn't make the connection. I guess that I was looking for the word "Stickies"
The Auber mods area is the main reason I made the suggestion as there are over 100 posts to read related to the Mods. Some are very informative but one has to read all the not as informative posts along the way. In some cases the most important posts are on the last page...  :-\

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 11:08:59 AM »
An FAQ sticky with topics and links to knowledgeable threads under each topic is a great way to reduce the stickies at the top of each forum.  The issue I see here is that Tony is like the Lone Ranger.  Getting volunteers to manage different forums of particular interest could add some value to each of the forums without over taxing anyone. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 08:22:23 PM »
Valid points, one and all.  As many of you know, this forum is not that old, but has grown leaps and bounds faster than any other "manufacturer" forum out there.  While it's a challenge to keep organization manageable, it's not impossible.  I've placed stickies at the top of sections that are "generic" in nature, i.e., things like advice for new owners, how to install a probe, brining 101, etc...  Educational, or instructional, topics primarily.

I think what Ralph is really alluding to is recipes, which has been touched on before.  We are working on this.  The problem you run into is this is not a forum like, say, Jeff Philips's smoking meat site.  There, you find a pretty extensive recipe list that are all his.  Not the case here.  There are many, many great recipes for the same types of smokes, so picking one or two for a stickie, or recipe section, is very difficult (without stepping on toes).  As soon as you elevate one recipe above another, someone is going to be insulted that it wasn't theirs.  I know it's a pain to scroll through the ever-growing number of threads under each board now, so I'm open to suggestions.

Dave, we aren't that far away from needing extra board-specific moderators.  As the beast grows, it will soon need more handlers! ;)   

Ben and I are more than open to suggestions, so let us know what you'd like to see, and ways to accomplish it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!