Author Topic: New element in the Model 2  (Read 10227 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
New element in the Model 2
« on: January 23, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »
All Model 2s now come standard with a 800 watt element.  This is upgraded from the original 700 watt element.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

OFFSHORE GINGER

Re: New element in the Model 2
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 11:22:40 AM »
Just curious when did this go into effect ( date )  , and could my Model 2 that I got around Christmas have the new element ?   
[I[I .............

slojoe

• Retired and lovin it
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 08:36:03 PM »
Will they be for sale at the website, and is there a problem with the 700w we should know about?
Joe, Smokin on #2, Navy Vet., Life NRA

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 10:44:08 AM »
is there a problem with the 700w we should know about?
I agree because 100 watts more is a whole lot of X-tra  juice opposed to the old element .
[I[I .............

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 01:02:52 PM »
I've always thought that the watts rating didn't make a lot of sense.  In my mind, heat = btu's.  It is also a unit of measure that I know regarding "a little heat" or "a lot of heat".  Has anyone seen what the output of these units are?  Coming from a propane smoker background, 10,000 btu's was on the light side and 15,000 btu's was a solid output.  My gut tells me that the 700W & 800W elements are going to be in the 5,000 - 7,000 btu range.  If anyone sees the information in print, please post. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Limey

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 04:06:39 PM »
According to my converter program 700 watts is around 2400 BTUs per hour and 800 watts is 2700 BTUs/hr.
If this conversion is correct then I suspect that we get away with so little compared to a propane smoker because  the SIs are so well insulated and have so little air exchange compared to propane which needs air for combustion.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 05:00:43 PM »
The new elements have been phased-in with current stock, over the last couple of months, so I'm not sure who got what.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 700 watt element.  Mine works perfectly, as do others.  Steve is simply doing an "upgrade" that will give a little better performance, come up quicker to temp, and be more competitive in the market place.  Nothing wrong with a little more "overhead" when it comes to heat. ;)

Last year, he upgraded the #1 element to 400 w, vs. the original 350.

Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

1stlink

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 06:06:54 AM »
I know it is not important but our human nature makes us want to know what we have. I like Ginger have bought the model two very recently and I'm curious.
Is there a way to determine which element is installed in our smokers? Is the physical size identical? And ohmmeter would tell the difference if you had a sample of each or if you knew the resistance reading of either element.
I will be doing additional mods to my model 2 shortly and I will nose around the element to determine the size if possible.

CUTiger80

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 02:21:11 PM »
Since this post is about the heating element, I thought that it might be a good place to bring up a question that has been on my mind.
Do any of you guys keep a back-up element on hand?
How long does an element typically last?
I have had mine since September 2014, so it is still relatively new, but I would hate to lose an element in the middle of a critical (company is coming) smoke.
Ravel
BSEE 1980 Clemson University
“Don't let your happiness depend on something that you may lose.” C.S. Lewis

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 02:23:29 PM »
Since this post is about the heating element, I thought that it might be a good place to bring up a question that has been on my mind.
Do any of you guys keep a back-up element on hand?
How long does an element typically last?
I have had mine since September 2014, so it is still relatively new, but I would hate to lose an element in the middle of a critical (company is coming) smoke.
Back up element?  Heck, I have whole back up smokers.  LOL!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 02:25:03 PM »
I'm curious what a source for elements might be.  For Auber users, it would seem like the element could be upgraded to the limits of the Auber? 

1stlink

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 04:34:15 AM »
Back to OP:
I know it is not important but our human nature makes us want to know what we have. I like Ginger have bought the model two very recently and I'm curious.
Is there a way to determine which element is installed in our smokers? Is the physical size identical?

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 07:39:58 PM »
Back to OP:
Is there a way to determine which element is installed in our smokers? Is the physical size identical?

Not sure, Ralph.  Probably going to have to ask Steve that question!  Shoot him an email, or just call him - he'll know.  Might even be able to look at the build date on your unit and tell from that.
Tony from NW Arkansas

1stlink

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 07:56:33 PM »
Ok, thanks Tony. I'll check  my serial number and give Steve a jingle..

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 08:01:07 PM »
There's always a "transition" period, when a change is made (deplete old stock, mixed with the new stuff), but he should know when it was made with the new element, and when the old stock was gone.
Tony from NW Arkansas