Author Topic: Prosciuttini  (Read 11966 times)

Walt

Re: Prosciuttini
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 01:10:55 PM »
My original post may have been confusing because I had a couple of butts that I was working with doing multiple things.

For the proscuittini, I removed the copa muscle from one of the butts & placed in a dry brine as per the 1st paragraph of the original post.  Stayed in the dry brine for 2 weeks, then rinsed & dryed & put in a special vacbag made by UMAI drybag steak.  This bag allows moisture to evaporate from the meat but does not let bacteria in. It's like Gortex for food.  I allowed it to dryage for 6 weeks loosing 40% of its original weight through evaporative weight loss, thus intensifying flavors, as well as tenderizing.  This is NOT cooked but eaten sliced paper thin.  Usually accompanied with assorted cheeses, pickled vegetables, jams, etc for a 1st course of appetizers.

I did not smoke it this time. However, next time I will COLD smoke after the cure but before the dry ageing.  This is not a cooked product, it is eaten in a cured and aged but raw state.

As a bonus, while inspecting the Breasola, I noticed the 6 lb strip loin that has been ageing reached 50 days old today.  Sounds like dinner today or tomorrow.  Its like Gortex for food.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 01:28:50 PM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

McKay

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 03:38:55 PM »
Oh, I thought you smoked some cured butts in there somewhere.

I did the UMAI with a $170 rib roast for 45 days. While very tasty when we cut it, the steaks we packaged and vag bagged froze did something nasty. When thawed there was an 'off' odor, not spoilage but not appetizing, and the edges turned a dark grey. We tossed all of it  :-\

Hoping yours comes out better.

Walt

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 04:28:16 PM »
Odd!  I vac seal the steaks individually before freezing after ageing them with great results. I have one steak left in the freezer but should get 4 or 5 more out of the strip lion that just ripened.  The aged steaks & charcuterie fold perfectly in to the smoking passion.

After removing the copa muscle & preparing the proscuittini, I placed the remainder of the shoulders in an equillibrium brine for a few days, removed, rinsed & injected, slathered with cane syrup & mustard & rubbed with my favorite rub then smoked. 
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 08:24:53 PM »
Oh, I thought you smoked some cured butts in there somewhere.

I did the UMAI with a $170 rib roast for 45 days. While very tasty when we cut it, the steaks we packaged and vag bagged froze did something nasty. When thawed there was an 'off' odor, not spoilage but not appetizing, and the edges turned a dark grey. We tossed all of it  :-\

Hoping yours comes out better.

Odd, indeed!  Never a problem with individually vac-packing the cut/trimmed steaks, and then thawing in the fridge.  Just curious - what was your process for handling the steaks after removing from the UMAi bag?  What you're reporting is very uncommon.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

McKay

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 08:40:29 PM »
We were  about as sterile as one could get. Its not rare actually the UMAI Forum has many cases of the off smell. The coloring is odd though.

Walt

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 01:52:46 PM »
Should be ready next week. It has lost 1 lb of fluid through evaporation so far. Could actually pull it now but would like to ripen it just a touch more. It has a rich peppery smell emmiting from the bag. 

As you can see from the picture, there is a substantial difference from my 1st post.

The breasola disappeared rapidly. Between my wife & sister-inlaw, I was allowed to eat very little. It was dynamite.

I think a new batch of breasola is on the horizon soon. 4 small venison roasts are waiting in the freezer.  After testing the prosciuttini I think more of that will also be joining the breasola.

I'll post pictures once on the slicer.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 08:23:44 PM »
Way to go, Walt!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 10:28:24 PM »
Getting very close!
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill