Author Topic: Goat Shoulder  (Read 3705 times)

Walt

Goat Shoulder
« on: October 04, 2014, 05:34:38 PM »
This is a cook I have been wanting to do for awhile.  I purchased a 2.8lb goat shoulder from a local farm that produces great cheeses.  I let it sit in an equalibrium brine for 4 days.  Included in the brine were fresh herbs & spices.  Once out of the brine it was patted dry then injected with a spiced butter & cider vinegar mixture.  Then it was rubbed in a mustard herb paste & sealed back up for 24 hrs.  This morning it went in the smoker for 3 hours @ 225 with about 3 oz pecan.  I then pulled it and put it in a cast iron pot with some white wine, beef stock, onions, garlic, carrots, assorted peppers & potatoes.  I will let it go about 3 more hours then pull it & serve with tzatziki on tortillias. 

Pictures to follow.  I'm shooting for a falling apart shoulder in a pan juice with a subtle smokey flavor.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 08:15:37 PM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Goat Shoulder
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 06:18:40 PM »
Wow!  Quite impressive, Walt! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jpittssr

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 06:55:01 PM »
  I'm shooting for a falling apart shoulder in a pan juice with a subtle smokey flavor.
That really sounds good Walt.
When you get it finished I would be honored to post a copy of the recipe on my website under the heading of "Wild Game".
Not to take anything away from the forum, just another place to share some wonderful food.

Walt

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 08:23:31 PM »
The final outcome was very moist & tender.  It was good in a very ethnic way.  There was a subdued wild flavor.  i didn't get any of the smokyness i was shooting for.  Everyone seemed to enjoy it but no one was in love with.  On to the next experiment......
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Walt

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 08:27:06 PM »
Ed, you are welcome to do as you please with the posting.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 09:21:15 PM »
Surprising about the smokiness.  Might try a stronger wood next time, like hickory or mesquite.  Just a thought...
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!