Author Topic: How to Autotune the Auber  (Read 59072 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: How to Autotune the Auber
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2015, 08:16:09 PM »
I will Tony, I have a one of my 7# briskets in the fridge soon will inject it, smear with mustard and add some rub. Plan on putting in the #3 around 5. But, will post in the beef section. But, you think those #'s are ok then?
Also took forever to get started, then I changed the switches and temp. started climbing. I felt like a fool at that point.  :-[

How did you program it, Bill? 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2015, 08:22:17 PM »
Like it said in your instructions: c01 e01 140 t01 t .5; c02 e02 225 t02 t 2.0; c03 e03 140 t03 t 4.0 the rest c04 thru c06 was zero. Then held set button until lock appeared, entered 166, changed the AT to 1. I used 2 bricks in the #1 and 2 in the #3. Also had a water pan in each and also added foil to the top of the wood boxes and the smoker floors with a hole for the drain hole. I actually think I can do this in my sleep now.  ;)
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2015, 08:39:28 PM »
OK, Bill.  I guess you just didn't have your bypass switch set right?  Sorry - I was confused.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

elkins20

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2015, 08:45:48 PM »
So was I and I really am red in the face about that. I was setting on my swing watching the temp. not move. Opened the door and on the #3 can see the tip of the heating element it is solid grey. I felt no heat. Finally I thought flip the switch, sure enough temps started going up. I have a very good excuse one of my close neighbors has a new dog and had it outside all night barking and crying. Needless to say I started the AT's at 7:00 am and only one cup of coffee.
 :-[
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2015, 08:57:01 PM »
Funny, Bill!  One time, I started a smoke and forgot to plug the smoker into the Auber!  Came out to check about 20 minutes in, and no smoke!  What the???  Didn't take long to feel really stupid. :-[
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2015, 09:02:36 PM »
I know that feeling. Also I have all the modifications completed on #1 & #3. The only thing I wish would have used a dpdt switch toggle switch rather than the rocker switch. I used the dremel to cut thru the name plate and top SS on the #1. But, am finished thank God. Also we have a new member that was a 21 year Marine. And for the life of me cannot remember his handle. But, had a nice talk with him last night and this morning. I believe he has a #3 with an Auber and permanent wall sensor that is not installed yet. He is in upper Washington state.

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2018, 11:35:41 PM »
I have a #3, it has the probe installed and the bypass has been completed. It has a Aubers WDS 1200GPH. This was a pre-owned unit but only a few moths old. I have done 4 or 5 smokes with it and have been happy enough but decided to run AutoTune today not knowing weather it had ever been done or not.
I set everything up, foil, water pan, two bricks and used the following setting as suggested here.
C01 140 E01 t t01 .5
C02 225 E02 t t02 2
C03 140 E03 t t03 1
C04 0 E04 t t04 0
C05 0 E05 t t05 0
C06 0 E06 t t06 0
Now on the second stage of a 3 stage smoke which is set at 140 it over shoots by 25-30 degrees before coming back to 140. I have ran AT twice and same results both times.
My PID settings are now 80-985-246.
Any thoughts??
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

DivotMaker

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2018, 07:14:25 PM »
Az, run some actual smokes and see if it holds tight...that will tell you if your numbers are good.  Btw, you're pushing the envelope, as far as power is concerned, with the 1200 on a #3.  It is recommended only for the model 1 & 2, and the 3 requires the 1800watt model 1500.  If you have problems with it overheating, or not working properly, that's probably why.
Tony from NW Arkansas

azbohunter

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2018, 08:39:24 PM »
Az, run some actual smokes and see if it holds tight...that will tell you if your numbers are good.  Btw, you're pushing the envelope, as far as power is concerned, with the 1200 on a #3.  It is recommended only for the model 1 & 2, and the 3 requires the 1800watt model 1500.  If you have problems with it overheating, or not working properly, that's probably why.
DM...I have a batch of fish in the 3D now..it is and has way overshot then eventually came back down.
I contacted tech guy at Aubers and he assured me no problem unless the unit stayed on constant for like 90 minutes which he doubted would happen with this unit. If that happens then I will consider a different the 1500.
I have, as I said, ran a few smoke with good results and no extreme over shot on temps.
I am considering doing a factory reset which I understand will go back to Bradley settings.
Open for suggestions...as an after thought I did a third AT this morning.
on edit: my fish are done and look good except for the white albumin that several pieces have, (kokanee) when I was set at 140 temp shot way up to near 170 before it ever started  back down. I am sort of at a loss.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:53:17 PM by azbohunter »
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2018, 10:08:54 AM »
There is a thread here where many listed their PID values after an auto tune.  Look at some of the #3 results and you can manually set your P, I & D accordingly. I wouldn't like an over shoot that far either. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SuperDave

• Officially Retired

azbohunter

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2018, 04:12:01 PM »
There is a thread here where many listed their PID values after an auto tune.  Look at some of the #3 results and you can manually set your P, I & D accordingly. I wouldn't like an over shoot that far either.
Thanks Dave, I will look that over. I ran another AT this morning with my own numbers and times and for a load I took 8 oranges that had blown off the tree in our high winds yesterday. That just finished a few minutes ago. I am going to let it cool off and try it again with more oranges as a load. I didn't use any wood so they won't be smoked oranges :)
Have you had your maiden voyage yet?

azbohunter

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2018, 02:24:30 PM »
Thanks Dave, I will look that over. I ran another AT this morning with my own numbers and times and for a load I took 8 oranges that had blown off the tree in our high winds yesterday. That just finished a few minutes ago. I am going to let it cool off and try it again with more oranges as a load. I didn't use any wood so they won't be smoked oranges :)
Have you had your maiden voyage yet?
Good morning..just an update.
I did another auto tune..running a program I use for fish 100 2hrs 140 2 hrs and 175 F 145..I have tried running the cycle above twice and both times I got near identical results. Over shot 100 to 114 and slowly worked back to 100, over shot 140 by 14 and after about 45 min settled at 140...because I had to leave before that cycle finished I shut it down so don't know about the 175.
numbers were P=68 I=600 D=701
Only other thing I might add is that it seems like it takes longer to get to temp from cold start and from one set point to the next than it did before AT...
Kokanee are still delicious..my favorite smoked fish
Thanks for any input.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2018, 05:10:53 PM »
I'm a little confused by your autotune comments.  When I've done my autotunes the Auber has never left the reading of the first set program before completing the tune.  If you are watching all three program sets it's taking way long to complete the tune. 

azbohunter

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2018, 11:56:10 AM »
Have tried several auto tunes without good results, most typical was over shooting by 10-15 degrees. Did a factory reset this morning and all seems to be good so far.