Author Topic: How to Autotune the Auber  (Read 59062 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: How to Autotune the Auber
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2015, 04:35:42 PM »
Msmith, I'm an hour and a half into my auto tune of my model 4.  The temp reading has stayed at the 140 degree program reading the entire time even though it is well past the 1/2 time set.  Does your unit perform accurately even though it didn't run the right temps in your auto tune? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2015, 09:27:08 PM »
My wife was starting to wonder if Alzheimers was setting in when she caught me wrapping bricks in foil and putting them in the smoker.  LOL!

When autotuning, you actually don't want to wrap the bricks in foil.  The idea is for them to absorb heat, like meat would, not reflect the heat.  No foiling bricks.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2015, 09:27:39 PM »
I ran a simulated cook after my auto tune and I guess everything is right with the world.

TexasSmoke

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2015, 05:03:59 PM »
I got my Permanent probe in and am ready to do an autotune.  I was thinking about my dummy load.  I was going to use some bricks but was thinking why not use a pork shoulder or brisket as that is what I normally cook.  It seems it would give the most realistic environment: Cold meat to start vs warm bricks (Hot here in TX).

Thoughts?
Smokin-It 3 & Auber PID, Viking outdoor grill

Ron from League City, TX

Limey

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2015, 05:30:40 PM »
I think that is a good idea. I first did an autotune at my house in the Keys and used hot coral rocks from the garden as my dummy load and got some very dubious results. Repeating the process with soda bottles filled with water and at fridge temperature got me results a lot more in line with what everyone else was getting.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2015, 12:00:34 PM »
I got my Permanent probe in and am ready to do an autotune.  I was thinking about my dummy load.  I was going to use some bricks but was thinking why not use a pork shoulder or brisket as that is what I normally cook.  It seems it would give the most realistic environment: Cold meat to start vs warm bricks (Hot here in TX).

Thoughts?
While the auto tune program has various temps and times, it doesn't seem to every get above the first program temp setting, which is 140 if you follow the auto tune instructions.  A couple hours later when the auto tune is done, your meat will have barely budged in internal temperature.  i.e. you won't make a safe internal temp in the 4 hour recommended time frame.  My last auto tune was done with a pan of cold, wet sand.  Everything went well and the Auber is performing well on real cooks. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2015, 07:59:17 PM »
DON'T do an autotune with meat - you'll regret it!  If you want to simulate cold meat, just put your pan of sand, or bricks, in the fridge!  But, I really don't think that's enough of a factor to effect the tuning, so long as your bricks aren't hot from the sun!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2015, 09:37:31 PM »
Tony, a pitcher of ice and some cold water saves getting in trouble with the Misses.  No dummy loads need to go in the frig.   ;)

DivotMaker

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2015, 10:47:31 PM »
Tony, a pitcher of ice and some cold water saves getting in trouble with the Misses.  No dummy loads need to go in the frig.   ;)

Hehe...you're probably right, but there's always the beer fridge! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2015, 11:40:04 PM »

Hehe...you're probably right, but there's always the beer fridge! ;)
Hey, I tried that but found I had to take my beer out of the fridge to make room. 

TexasSmoke

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2015, 02:25:39 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I will go with bricks. How many bricks and which shelves do you recommend?
Smokin-It 3 & Auber PID, Viking outdoor grill

Ron from League City, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2015, 07:40:37 PM »
I use 3 bricks, Ron, and put them up high, like I would meat.
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2015, 12:12:41 PM »
Hey Everyone,
       Ran the Autotune on my #1 & #3 smokers this morning. When starting the ambient temp. was 74 degrees on my front porch. The #3 finished first and  here are the #'s P=97 I-146 D=143. These look kind of low. The #1 is still running and will see what its numbers are.. 12:18 pm just checked and #1 auber is still in p-1, It has been 2 hrs. and not changing steps. Had some errands to run and when I returned the Little Man was finished, here is the pid settings for the #1 P=61 I=362 D=340. Quite a difference from what I have seen for others. I will open up a new post for my next smoke.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 04:38:49 PM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2015, 08:06:02 PM »
Bill, the numbers are irrelevant, if it holds temp.  Let us know how they perform!
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2015, 08:09:21 PM »
I will Tony, I have a one of my 7# briskets in the fridge soon will inject it, smear with mustard and add some rub. Plan on putting in the #3 around 5. But, will post in the beef section. But, you think those #'s are ok then?
Also took forever to get started, then I changed the switches and temp. started climbing. I felt like a fool at that point.  :-[
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri