Author Topic: How to Autotune the Auber  (Read 59065 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: How to Autotune the Auber
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 11:09:36 PM »
Hey Matt,

The older models turned the setting off when it completed.  I'll have to look into how this one works.  Just press the SET button until Lck appears in the left window.  Then, use + to enter code 166.  Change At to 0.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Msmith

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 11:38:03 PM »
Thank you very much. That worked! I didn't realize you had to go in and turn auto tune off after it completed the auto tune process. Figured it would turn off itself.  Now I know.

Thanks,
Matt

DivotMaker

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 08:17:08 PM »
Thank you very much. That worked! I didn't realize you had to go in and turn auto tune off after it completed the auto tune process. Figured it would turn off itself.  Now I know.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt, you shouldn't have to.  I know I suggested that, to remedy your problem, but it should turn itself off when complete.  It may be that it completed the program set before the autotune was done.  I would suggest increasing the time at 225 so it has plenty of time to run.  Sorry for not picking up on this before, but I'm also still learning the new PID.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Msmith

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 04:42:51 PM »
Actually I set it up like you did and set the last step to 10 hours. It completed the auto tune process in about 2 hours. ???

Matt

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 08:46:04 PM »
Matt, I'm not sure why the At would still flash then.  I'll do a little research...
Tony from NW Arkansas

LongBall

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 06:30:27 PM »
I installed my wall probe covered everything with foil filled a pan with sand put a pot of water in the #3. Started the auto tune and a couple hours later or so I went out and it was done. Turned everything off and today when I got ready to cook my ribs and turned it on and AT started to flash again what did I miss?
SI3 Auber WSD-1500 Probe installed

Bart

DivotMaker

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 08:01:11 PM »
I installed my wall probe covered everything with foil filled a pan with sand put a pot of water in the #3. Started the auto tune and a couple hours later or so I went out and it was done. Turned everything off and today when I got ready to cook my ribs and turned it on and AT started to flash again what did I miss?

Did you let the entire program complete, and had the At stopped flashing in the left window when you turned it off?  Normally, if the autotune runs its entire cycle, it will turn the At setting back to "0" (off).  If you're satisfied the AT completed, and it's holding temp correctly, you can go back into the settings (how you turned it on) and manually turn it off.  I've heard a couple of cases of this with the new 1200GPH, so I'll see if I can find out anything about a known problem with Auber.
Tony from NW Arkansas

LongBall

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 08:46:33 PM »
I started it yesterday at 750 am and didnot get back out to look at it until almost 11 and the AT was gone. I will try AT it one more time. I have not figured out how to set a temp yet as I went back to just the box. I dont think my dial works that well the I have it set to almost 250 and the Arber reads 230 ish.

Bart

DivotMaker

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2014, 08:59:47 PM »
I have not figured out how to set a temp yet as I went back to just the box. I dont think my dial works that well the I have it set to almost 250 and the Arber reads 230 ish.

There's one problem - if you use the Auber, the dial MUST be set all the way clockwise (full temp).  The stock controller will throttle the Auber if it's anything less. 

I've found out that some of the 1200s, that were manufactured early, have a programming error that prevents the autotune from turning off.  I believe Auber has a fix for this, but a workaround is manually turning it off, like I said before.

You said you have not figured out how to set a temp yet; what does that mean?  Do you mean how to set the Auber program?
Tony from NW Arkansas

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2014, 10:59:56 AM »
I would certainly contact Auber regarding the problem and provide them with the serial number of the unit or some other form of unit identification. If Auber had a bad run, then it is their problem to address and rectify. Additionally I would provide them with the setting steps you have followed.  This may be something that you can fix or you may have to send in the unit.  I say this regardless of where you bought it.  If purchased from SI, it is still Auber's obligation to fix the issue.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LongBall

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 01:46:33 PM »
I have not figured out how to set a temp yet as I went back to just the box. I dont think my dial works that well the I have it set to almost 250 and the Arber reads 230 ish.

There's one problem - if you use the Auber, the dial MUST be set all the way clockwise (full temp).  The stock controller will throttle the Auber if it's anything less. 

I've found out that some of the 1200s, that were manufactured early, have a programming error that prevents the autotune from turning off.  I believe Auber has a fix for this, but a workaround is manually turning it off, like I said before.

You said you have not figured out how to set a temp yet; what does that mean?  Do you mean how to set the Auber program?

I turned the temp all the way up yes Im that smart. Because it came up with auto tune I stopped using it. I took your advise and turned it off and left it on. It was reading the temp probe and even with me having the dial at 250 I never got the box over 234* over a 5 hour span. The arbur was not controling the temp just reading it.

Bart

DivotMaker

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 05:12:54 PM »
I'm just trying to help, Longball.  I mentioned that about the dial because you said "Almost had it to 250," which told me it was not all the way to 250.  No need for anger - we're not employees of SI or Auber, just fellow users trying to help.

You also said:

"It was reading the temp probe and even with me having the dial at 250 I never got the box over 234* over a 5 hour span. The arbur was not controling the temp just reading it."

By that, do you mean that you did not have the smoker plugged into the Auber, but just had the #1 probe in the smoker at full temp?  Again, I'm asking these questions because you were not clear in your explanation.  If the smoker was plugged into the Auber, there is no way it could have not been controlling the element.  Remember, we're not seeing what you are, so you need to give us enough details about your setup so we can get a mental image of what you are doing.  Sound reasonable?

If you did not have the smoker plugged into the Auber, do you have another thermometer that would confirm/disprove the reading on the Auber?  If you had a reading from another reliable thermometer, you may need to calibrate your probe.  Although I've never seen one off more than 2-3°, I guess it's possible that it could be farther off.  Just a thought.
Tony from NW Arkansas

CUTiger80

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 10:45:09 PM »
I ran auto tune in my SI#2 tonight. Here are my numbers. Do they seem reasonable?
P=68
I=851
D=212
Ravel
BSEE 1980 Clemson University
“Don't let your happiness depend on something that you may lose.” C.S. Lewis

DivotMaker

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2014, 09:59:57 PM »
Looks reasonable to me, Ravel.
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2015, 07:47:29 PM »
My wife was starting to wonder if Alzheimers was setting in when she caught me wrapping bricks in foil and putting them in the smoker.  LOL! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah