Author Topic: How to Autotune the Auber  (Read 59063 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
How to Autotune the Auber
« on: June 30, 2014, 10:32:54 PM »
This is the instruction sheet that's posted on the SI site.  It is important to autotune the Auber to your particular model.  The Auber comes tuned to the Bradley smoker, which does not perform in the same manner as the SI units.  The autotune sets a number of parameters, such as how fast the element heats up, when to start "slowing down" before it reaches "set" temperature, and how to maintain the set temp.  It you use the Auber "out of the box," without tuning it, results may be less than optimal.

If you have any questions regarding the autotune process, let me know!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:32:35 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

Re: How to Autotune the Auber
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 09:58:13 AM »
DM or fellow autotuners

I followed the instructions on the SI web site:

When I got to step 3E, the temp read 80 and is increasing as we go along.  I did this step 3 times and got the same reading.

Do I do something wrong?

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

es1025

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 11:45:05 AM »
One question, once the Auber is "auto tuned" i am assuming it is now a SI controller not the B work.  So then setting higher temps should be no problem? 
Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:46:52 PM »
Ed - once you leave the "At" setting (step 3E), it will read the box temp in the left window.  It will get to 140 - I'll correct that in the instructions.  Good catch!  It should be flashing between "At" and the temp, to indicate it is autotuning.

As far as your second question - the only way to get temps higher than 250 are with the bypass.  The autotune has nothing to do with how high the temp goes (seems the Auber will go up to 600°, if I'm not mistaken), but everything to do with how it gets there & remains constant there.  This tuning adjusts those parameters for your box, so it learns how fast the temp climbs and falls, and how much power to add to maintain.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

es1025

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 08:36:47 AM »
Thanks

I am hopefully going to acquire the connectors to bypass the controller and auto tune again.

So once this step is completed, I should be able to have more consistent temperatures (less fluctuations)?

Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 08:09:56 PM »
Ed, before I put in the permanent probe, I had temp swings of +/- 2-3 degrees (still pretty darn close for BBQ).  With the permanent probe, they are +/- 1-2 degrees at most.  Much tighter than the analog controller!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 01:24:43 PM »
Ahh.... I must autotune after the permanent probe install.  Was wondering why I had a huge overshoot with baby back ribs on the other day. 
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 06:53:43 PM »
Ahh.... I must autotune after the permanent probe install.  Was wondering why I had a huge overshoot with baby back ribs on the other day.

Definitely!  Life will be so much easier! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 04:59:22 PM »
Ernie - it will continue to flash At/temp until it's done tuning.  I need to correct the line that says it will initially read 140, but here's the paragraph you are referring to:

At this point, the left display will flash between At and 140. Your PID is now autotuning itself to your smoker! Let the program run until it is no longer flashing At in the window. The length of time for this process varies, based on how quickly the PID unit “adapts” to how fast the smoker heats up and cools down.

It doesn't say "you are now auto tuned."  You will also notice it says "the length of time for this process varies..."

You need to set it up, let it run, and don't worry about it until it's done and no longer flashing At.  It can take awhile.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Msmith

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 01:50:13 PM »
New guy here. Question on the Autotune. I got my #3 last week and have mounted the probe and bypassed the stock controller. I programmed the Auber using the suggested program in the instructions:

140 for .5 minutes
225 for 2 hours
140 for 5 hours(it suggested .5, but I used 5 just in case it took longer to auto tune)

I then I started the Autotune process.

My questions is, should I see it go through the program I entered? 140 for a half hour then 225 for 2 hours.... I'm definitely past the half hour mark and the highest I've seen the temp is 161. For example right now it is flashing AT and 159.

Thanks,
Matt

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 07:30:26 PM »
Matt,

I see you were doing this several hours ago.  Are you still having trouble?  It normally takes the smoker around 45+ minutes to climb to 225.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Msmith

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 09:46:56 PM »
I guess so? I never saw it get above 161 degs. I periodically hit the + key to see what step it was in and it never got out of C01. So I'm not sure what is going on. After it finished auto tuning I set C01 to 250 degs and all other steps to 0. It hit 250 with no problem and held it within 3 degree. So should I have seen it go through the program I entered while it was auto tuning? Or does it tend to do its own thing?

Thanks,
Matt

Msmith

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 01:55:51 PM »
I think I found my answer. You posted in another thread that it can hold a temp for a very long time while auto tuning. So I take that as it may not follow the program to a T. Now if I can just figure out why it goes into Auto tune mode when I power it on. Flip the switch and without touching anything it starts flashing AT. ???

Matt

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 07:55:17 PM »
Matt, go back into the settings, where you enabled autotune, and turn it off.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Msmith

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 10:04:54 PM »
Looks like I have you spread across 2 different post. Sorry bout that, and sorry for the stupid questions. It's a model WSD-1500GPH. How do I turn it off?

Thanks,
Matt