Author Topic: How to Bypass the Analog Controller  (Read 72108 times)

Limey

Re: How to Bypass the Analog Controller
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2015, 01:55:57 PM »
I agree with Ravel that saving programs is not worth the effort. The Auber is so easy to program and programming each smoke forces you to think through each time what you are really trying to accomplish.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2015, 09:59:37 PM »
Ravel / Tony,
Thanks for sharing that info.
Ravel, I'm somewhat apprehensive myself about programming and using the Auber. But there appears to be plenty of helpful info here.
I haven't seen any comprehensive posts on "ramp up" times / temperatures, cooking temps, finishing temps / times and recommended holding times / temps for use with the Aubers. Do either of you know of any? Have seen bits of info on these.

Paul - the guys are absolutely right about use of the Auber not being any different from any other smoke.  It's just a controller, so it's only as good as the temps you put in!

Don't be nervous about programming the Auber.  I was, too, but once I got it in my hands, I realized how easy it was!  Once you grasp that it's 3 things - temperature for the step, what triggers the next step (time or internal temp), and what that trigger is (again, internal temp or time), it's easy.  Don't let there being 6 steps worry you, either.  It just allows you to set more complex programs, but it's still just the same 3 parameters.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Limey

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »
Just wanted to add my thanks for all the great advice and pics on this thread. I bit the bullet and did a switched bypass over the weekend, something I have been historically opposed to since it does potentially pose a danger. However with the rocket launcher cover it seems safe enough. Pics attached. Incidentally the plug for the blow hole is a synthetic wine cork-they fit perfectly and the price is right.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2015, 08:23:17 PM »
Nice job, Roger!  I assume the wine cork in the blow hole is just for storage, and to keep the bugs/mice out? ???
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Limey

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2015, 09:12:01 PM »
That's affirmative, Tony.

DivotMaker

« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2015, 10:45:43 PM »
Roger that, Roger!  Great idea!
Tony from NW Arkansas

mt.man511

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2022, 05:23:26 PM »
I know this is a very old thread but I thought I would see if anybody is still around to answer a few questions.
I assume if you don't do the bypass the max temp will stay at 250 even with the Auber, now let's say the switch is installed everything hooked up and I want to use the analog controller for some stupid reason, what are the steps, do you need to unplug from the Auber? or do you stay plugged in flip a switch and does the Auber have to be on? Just trying to get an idea of the process switching from one controller to the other after everything is hooked up. Thank you.
Ernie
Weber Summit Charcoal grill
Pit Boss Copperhead#7 Vertical pellet smoker (Modified)
Oklahome Joe Bronco Pro smoker/grill
Blackstone 36 inch Griddle
LSG custom 6 ft. Santa Maria grill Dual grate. Dual Rotisserie
Char Broil 3 in 1 propane smoker/grill
Franklin NC.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2022, 07:29:32 PM »
Read the info from 3 sons at this link.  According to the OP, with the Auber on, the switch allows bypassing the original controller thus choosing either analog or digital.  There are 9 pages but this link has some of the verbage.  I suggest reading all pages. Also, you may just decide that you don't need the auber after a few smokes under your belt.
https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1287.45
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 07:32:02 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers