Author Topic: How to install a permanent Auber temperature probe  (Read 115267 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: How to install a permanent Auber temperature probe
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2014, 09:14:52 PM »
Cool Dean!  You'll love the spot-on reliability of the perm probe!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2014, 04:28:48 PM »
Does the probe get in the way when you are cooking a large brisket or multiple pork butts?  It just seems to protrude a long way into the cabinet....

Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2014, 06:30:33 PM »
Hey Tony,

In your instructions from the initial post you wrote:

Auber recommends installing the probe as high as possible in the smoker.  It should be under the highest shelf.  Since we can move our racks into a high or low position, I found the spot below the highest setting.  This is about 3" from the top of the smoker (inside).

However, in your pictures it appears that the probe is slightly above the shelf. Is it just my eyes or the angle of the picture that is making it appear to me that your probe is about 1" above the top rack?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2014, 07:54:14 PM »
However, in your pictures it appears that the probe is slightly above the shelf. Is it just my eyes or the angle of the picture that is making it appear to me that your probe is about 1" above the top rack?

Gregg, I tried to adapt Auber's instructions, that were intended for a Bradley smoker.  If the side racks are in the top position, the probe is just below the top shelf.  In the lower position, it is just above the top shelf.  Next wall probe I install will be about an inch from the top of the inside box.  That way, it will read the stable air at the top, and not interfere with anything on the top rack.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2014, 08:24:08 PM »
OK, I think I understand now.

I'm planning on doing this some day. So I just was trying to understand.

I think it would be a great idea to move the probe up even higher. Thanks for the suggestion/recommendation.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

bigfoot21075

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2014, 02:11:32 PM »
I think I may be missing some info. Do you also disconnect the factory analog probe or does that stay in and you just set the factory dial to 250?
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2014, 03:44:25 PM »
Using the bypass effectively disables the stock temp dial.

If you add the rocker switch option, you can switch back and forth between the bypass and the analog thermostat.

If/when I ever get an Auber, I will be adding the rocker switch option, so that I can switch to the stock configuration if I am having a problem with my Auber or if it is raining and I don't want my Auber to get wet.

Technically, you can use an Auber without doing the bypass by just cranking it all the way up and then letting the Auber control the element from there. The benefit of the bypass is to allow your Auber to control the element without any intervention from the stock controller which still has a max temp of 250 degrees. If you bypass, your Auber will not be restricted by the stock controller and will allow you to go above 250 degrees, which is great from poultry.

Hopefully this hasn't muddied the waters even further.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2014, 10:02:34 PM »
I think I may be missing some info. Do you also disconnect the factory analog probe or does that stay in and you just set the factory dial to 250?

I need a little clarification on what you're asking, in order to answer correctly.  When you say "factory analog probe," do you mean the temperature sensor in the back of the smoker?  I'm thinking that's what you mean, but want to clarify.  "Analog" threw me off.  The "Factory dial" you mentioned refers to what we call the "analog" controller, or "factory controller."  Not meaning to split hairs here, just wanting to clarify what your understanding is - this whole digital thing can get a bit confusing at times!

I think I know what you're asking, so I'll try to answer, as best I can:

First, there are 2 ways to use the Auber PID.  One way is to not modify the smoker at all, just plug the Auber in, set the dial (factory controller) to 250, and let the Auber control the smoker through the factory analog controller.  There is no need to modify, or disconnect, the temperature probe in the back of the smoker.

The second way (personally preferred) is to "bypass" the stock controller, and let the Auber run the show.  I find this to be the optimal setup, should you choose to use the Auber, because it takes one point of failure out of the equation - the 250°-limited stock controller.  This allows the Auber to take the temp higher than 250, and it is not impeded by the stock controller.  Not saying that the stock controller is bad, it's just that it becomes the "middle man" in the setup - unnecessary.  If you're springing for an Auber, let it do what it does best - be in control!  I also think it doesn't really like competition.  lol.

If this is not what you are asking, please clarify for me, so I can better help!
Tony from NW Arkansas

bigfoot21075

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2014, 06:10:07 AM »
THANKS!

You guys hit it on the head, what I was trying to ask is if you "bypass" the stock controller..... I like the idea of being able to get a slightly higher temp as well, not to mention the Auber is designed to be accurate - may as well let it do its thing. My smoker is in out of the rain anyway.
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2014, 08:55:34 PM »
You're welcome, Big!  Thought that's what you were asking.
Tony from NW Arkansas

foodeefish

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2014, 09:57:53 PM »
I am confused and very nervous about buying the Auber and drilling through my Model #3.

- What size hole needs to be drilled and to be sure, just through the inner cabinet correct?
I am asking because the picture looks like the wire is coming out the Back of the smoker.

- Is the wire from the temp probe long enough to run down the inside of the cabinet and out where the power cord comes in and then up to the back of the actual Auber? It seems it would have to be a super long wire.

Thnx

DivotMaker

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2014, 07:56:10 PM »
No worries, Fish!  The interior hole is 5/16".  I ran my cord out the back because I actually didn't think of running out the bottom with the power cord! :-[   The cord on the sensor is 5' long, so yes, it will reach.  The plug on the new-style sensor is the 1/4" stereo plug, so the housing is bigger.  What that means is that you'll likely have to remove the power cord to get it through the hole, then replace the cord.  It attaches with spade connectors, so it's not a big deal.

I think the permanent probe is well-worth the effort, if you have an Auber.
Tony from NW Arkansas

CUTiger80

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2014, 12:18:23 PM »
Tony,
I bit the bullet today and ordered the Auber with the permanent installed temperature probe.  I noticed in your original post that you indicated that you used a 1" spacer on the back side of the probe so that only the probe itself protruded into the smoker.  What did you use for the spacer? In the photo, it looks like another piece of nylon.  I'm guessing that a piece of copper tubing or a bunch of 5/16" metal washers would also work.
Also, in a later post, you or someone indicated that if you had to do over you would put the temperature probe up at about 1" from the top of the smoker (ceiling).  Is that still your thought?
One other question about the smoker itself.  You indicated in your original post of this modification that the side racks can be place in two positions.  Mine has holes in the racks like yours does, but the pegs that protrude from the sides of the smoker are angled up at such a steep angle that I can't lift the racks up high enough (they hit the top of the smoker) to let them hang from the lower holes.  Another words, I can't put the racks at the highest position.  Now it is possible that I can take some pliers and bend the pegs down some, but I don't want to chance breaking the weld loose.  The other options is to grind off some of the tops of the racks so that it will slip over the holes before hitting the top of the smoker.  I guess my question is, how often do you put your racks at this higher position and is it worth worrying about?  (If this is unclear, I can take some photos and post them to illustrate what I am talking about.)
Ravel
BSEE 1980 Clemson University
“Don't let your happiness depend on something that you may lose.” C.S. Lewis

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2014, 01:06:30 PM »
Ravel, my siderails are hard to fit in to because of the angled pegs. If I really work it, I can get it in, but it does not hang right until I slide some shelves in.

I am going take the Dremel to my side rails some day as I don't think it is going to take a whole lot to make this more usable.

However, when I have put my side rails up high, I always moved them back down because I thought the top shelf was too high. The only time, I can see needing it to be that high is when smoking Snack Stix or Jerky that would fit on the top shelf.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2014, 03:00:49 PM »
I'm curious about the probe placement.  In doing many temp tests, it seems like the box temp around the center of the box is generally a lower temp than the top of the box.  I assume because the meat is acting like a heat sink.  Do I really want to control the temp where I don't have meat vs. where I do? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah