Author Topic: How to install a permanent Auber temperature probe  (Read 115268 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
How to install a permanent Auber temperature probe
« on: March 22, 2014, 04:59:03 PM »
I installed a fixed (permanent) Auber temperature probe in the SI-X2 today.  This probe has a nylon base, so it's supposed to insulate the temperature probe from the "heat sink" effect of the stainless steel wall of the smoker.

To install the probe, you must first remove the back cover of the smoker, and take out the 3 layers of insulation.  This is an itchy job, so wear disposable nitrile or latex gloves!

Auber recommends installing the probe as high as possible in the smoker.  It should be under the highest shelf.  Since we can move our racks into a high or low position, I found the spot below the highest setting.  This is about 3" from the top of the smoker (inside). 

You must drill a 5/16" hole for the probe.  I recommend a sharp drill bit, oil, slow speed, and lots of pressure to get this hole drilled.  Stainless steel is tough to drill, but can be done.  You have to put your weight in it, so don't be shy.

You'll notice, in the picture of the probe, that the threaded shank is quite long.  It's designed for a Bradley, I believe, so it's long enough to go through both walls.  Since there's about 3" of space from the back wall of the SI to the cover plate, this won't work.  I used a 1" nylon spacer on the probe before inserting in the hole.  This worked well, and the result was a clean "probe-only" installation. 

I poked a hole in the first layer of insulation, and fed the wire through it.  The second layer has a large notch at the top, so I just went over that one.  The third layer needed a hole.

I goofed on this one, and drilled too large of a hole in the back cover!  I had bought a 3/8" x 5/8" rubber grommet for the back.  The plug on the probe is 3/8" wide.  Not thinking that the 5/8" OD on the grommet was the actual outside dimension, I grabbed a 5/8" drill and went to town.  Oops.  Had to make a quick trip to get a larger grommet. :-[   I ended up with a 3/4" x 7/16" grommet.  It will work, but I should have drilled a 1/2" hole. 

I'm testing the new sensor now, with a "simulated" 225 cook, and running an autotune on the Auber.  I'll let you know how that goes.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: How to install a permanent Auber temperature probe
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 08:05:48 PM »
Nice install.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 08:50:06 PM »
Thanks Dave.  It seems to be a solid unit, and should bring a new level of consistency to the Auber cooks.  Probe placement has been a hot topic, so having the unit tuned to the same location should be a good thing.  As always, I'll keep all posted on the results.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 04:02:51 PM »
I've now used the permanent probe on 2 long smokes, and am very impressed.  First, it's very consistent due to the placement (exactly the same place, every time), and the autotune on the Auber performs better than ones I've done with the removable probe.  It holds temps within 1 degree consistently.  This is probably due to the size and accuracy of the probe, as compared to the removable one.
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 07:11:57 PM »
3 more smokes done with the fixed probe, and I am very impressed!  First, there's no guessing on where to place the removable probe, or letting it interfere with the autotune results.  Second, it's always in exactly the same spot, so the results are predictable.  Temps have been within 1 degree on every smoke using the fixed probe.  If you have an Auber, this is definitely a good investment, and will simplify an already easy process!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 05:56:23 AM »
Good read.  I am doing this tonight. Not thrilled about working with the insulation and drilling again.

Question..... Why such a large hole on back cover plate? Was that needed just to feed the connector through?
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 07:24:20 PM »
The large hole was a mistake. From the first post:

"I goofed on this one, and drilled too large of a hole in the back cover!  I had bought a 3/8" x 5/8" rubber grommet for the back.  The plug on the probe is 3/8" wide.  Not thinking that the 5/8" OD on the grommet was the actual outside dimension, I grabbed a 5/8" drill and went to town.  Oops.  Had to make a quick trip to get a larger grommet.  I ended up with a 3/4" x 7/16" grommet.  It will work, but I should have drilled a 1/2" hole."

However, it's been pointed out that the smarter move is to route the wire along one of the power wires, and out through the same hole as the power cord! (Duh!).  Still can't believe I didn't think of this!  If I install another one, that's what I'll do.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:40:08 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 10:34:44 PM »
Easy install. Thanks!!!!

Big Fish

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 08:23:58 PM »
I meant to type this last week... Having been about the fifth time I've modified my unit... This only took me about 35 minutes... Not as fast as a nascar pit stop... But unfortunately I have become good at tweaking the unit.

In all seriousness... Without the good instructions it would have taken me twice as long!

Big Fish

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 09:36:23 PM »
Yep, that's the probe. I think Tony (Divot) used this one. Should be easy.

DivotMaker

Tony from NW Arkansas

Big Fish

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 10:53:20 AM »
Great Tony, it's the one I got! Oh, the other thing, Steve took care of it.

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 08:01:37 PM »
Great Tony, it's the one I got! Oh, the other thing, Steve took care of it.

That's cool!  Confident you made the right decision on a company? ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Big Fish

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 08:17:35 PM »
So far so good!