Author Topic: Smokin-It Temperature Contoller Bypass  (Read 97046 times)

cwshiles

• Get out there and Smoke it!
Re: Smokin-It Temperature Contoller Bypass
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 12:09:50 PM »
When you re-assemble the box, make sure to reconnect the small grounding wire to the screw when attaching the back to the Auber.  I have a pic in here as a reminder.

I also attached a couple of the completed project.  The cables seems to be about the right length for me.  This is how I plan to store my #3 with the cord wrapped around the cord hook in the back as well as the extra 15 FT extension cord.   That is one other important note.  I ended up making all of the cords with the 1 25 FT cold weather extension cord.  You can see the one I purchased in the pics.  I really like it and I am glad I made the switch. 

Thanks again go to Steve, Chad, Johnny, Rick, Tony and all of you for the help / suggestions.
Charlie from MD
Smokin it Model #3 with Cart
Auber 1503, Maverick ET-733, iGrill

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 12:28:45 PM »
Charlie,

Wonderful job. I am sure all will benefit from your hard work and great pictures.  Thanks for sharing,

Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 01:11:37 PM »
Charlie:

You're done! Awesome.

Curious why the aluminum foil is left hanging out the front? Just wondering the reason and if it is some tip I should follow....

Steve
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

cwshiles

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 01:31:31 PM »
Curious why the aluminum foil is left hanging out the front?

Thanks Steve and Sarge!

That is my fully patented DripStop-o-Matic!   ;D

I actually got tired of dripping juices (cooked or raw) on the deck.  The dogs like it, but it stains, so I do not.  It does not catch them all, but if I pull the racks out a little to check the cook, it is enough that it catches some of the drippings.  I usually flip up the end a little to get it to extend out a little more.  I have also been taking a little outdoor table and sitting it in front of the smoker and placing a disposable full size hotel pan under the racks when I am done so I have a work table.

I have not figured out exactly how I will do it yet, but I plan to put in a sliding shelf under the front of the smoker that will extend out like a drawer would.  This create a place for me to work as well as catch those pesky drippings.  I like the side tables on the cart, but I would prefer one right in front under the drip pan attached to the smoker so I could extend it out and slide it back underneath when not in use.  I there is not really a place to attach drawer slides to the side of the cart without attaching another piece of material to the stainless steel sides of the cart.

I really like the stainless steel cart from Smokin-it, but the sides tables are not terribly sturdy. I am always afraid I am going to knock into it and collapse a side table by accident. 

Ill see what I can come up with over the next couple weeks.  Idea's and suggestions welcome.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 02:06:21 PM by cwshiles »
Charlie from MD

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 02:58:39 PM »
Really nice job, and post, Charlie!  Thanks!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2014, 04:21:17 PM »
I have heard a lot about the side tables not being sturdy. 

I think the are okay, but if bumped so they aren't latched, then you got a problem indeed.

That said I overcame this by slipping custom made wood clips that a shaped like a letter C that wedge in nicely to prevent the side tables from moving, and thus keeping them in place for the metal to do the work of holding the weight.

Ideally I agree there would be some latch that we're slip over or lock those puppies in place... But these little piece of wood a one heckuva insurance policy and greatly reduce risk of side tables collapsing.

cwshiles

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2014, 07:21:15 PM »
I agree that the side tables are pretty good with the exception of not being able to lock them. You know I'm gonna ask you for a pic Steve!  Sounds like a good fix.   That would definitely make me feel a little more comfortable.  On Thanksgiving my cousin walked my the smoker and smacked into the side table and knocked himself pretty good and my tongs onto the ground.  He and the shelf were fine but made me nervous. 
Charlie from MD

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2014, 09:00:01 PM »
Pics I will guarantee. Travel this week so posts may increase as stuck in hotel room... but getting anything done on my hobby won't occur.... But it's easy to jam anything in there!

I am thinking of trying an apple pie on the smoker... Dunno why just crazy thought stuck in my mind ... But once there it's trapped!!!

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2014, 09:35:02 PM »
Okay ... for now this is all I have ... However I will take photos this weekend to show this mod I am about to apply to my SI3!!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2014, 09:49:27 PM »
Okay ... for now this is all I have ... However I will take photos this weekend to show this mod I am about to apply to my SI3!!!!

Looks like a "Master Arm" switch to me, Steve!  Ha!  Are you going nuclear??  LOL!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2014, 09:57:39 PM »
Ha it will get warmer this weekend!

Well ... Instead of hard wiring the bypass I'm going to put this puppy on top next to the built in temp setting dial.

Little hesitant to leave it permanently bypassed in the back. I'd like to have the flexibility to bypass when using my Auber... And if Auber not needed say just doing salmon for an hour, to have it not bypass the SI temp gauge.

In the unarmed state, or whenever the red cover gets closed, the SI3 temp gauge will be active. It will win. In addition if let's say my wife uses the smoker or my sons do some day without the Auber.... It's not hard bypassed and someone cannot accidentally melt my toy.

The only way it's bypassed is one the red safety cover is open and two the switch is toggled.

It's a switch to go bypassed or not... With a little missile launcher cover for  safety... Plus it should look serious and intimidating to friends that come over.  8)

DivotMaker

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 10:13:10 PM »
You're gonna have to do this sticker theme...the A-10 smoker!  Saw this on another forum, and would really like to do it myself! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

cwshiles

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2014, 10:16:00 PM »
Dang!  You beat me to it.  :D  I was looking for that pic too. I love it. Made me think about what sorta theme I would put on my smoker.

I like the safety toggle idea Steve. Good luck
Charlie from MD

DivotMaker

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2014, 10:20:01 PM »
Sorry, Charlie!  9 years Air Force, and working with A-10s a lot, I about fell over when I saw this!  Love it!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2014, 11:25:31 PM »
DivotMaker:
That picture is cool!!! I cannot be certain but it looks like an SI3. Right?

The opportunity to serve in the armed forces has passed me by for whatever reason. God speed those who have served or are serving; I'll never directly feel the pride associated with having served my country.

cwshiles:
I just need to verify the electrical ratings; I think they're okay but I want to double check.

At the same time I'm going to modify the length of the power cords - then I should have no need to open up my unit again.

HOWEVER, now it is clear after seeing that photograpy once I get everything modified where I want it, and completing a couple months of smokes, my summer may end up determining a theme for my smoker to give it a personality!!!!!!!!

PS - On a side note, they guys I work with keep telling other people I have a cadilac smoker. One fellow overhearing this asked for all of the information I had, the smokin-it website, and he may well be interested in this too... time will tell.