Author Topic: Auber Simple Start  (Read 29110 times)

BHamel

• Administrator
Auber Simple Start
« on: December 23, 2013, 10:51:28 AM »
Using some of the information from posts and a little playing myself, I have created a simple start up guide for using the Auber with a Smokin-It smoker.  A lot of people have said that the instructions are very cumbersome, so I have tried to simplify it for easy start up.  You can find the info on the Smokin-It store site http://www.smokin-it.com/Articles.asp?ID=251, and I have attached it to this post as well.

Thanks,
Ben

Update:  When you attach the Auber to the smoker, be sure to turn the temperature dial to 250.  The Auber PID will control the element, so you don't want the Auber and on board controller competing for control.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 09:37:37 PM by DivotMaker »
Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Auber Simple Start
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 12:15:16 PM »
Thanks, Ben...this is very helpful!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 12:46:22 PM »
Looks pretty straight-forward.  Thanks Ben!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

rickne

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 11:47:04 PM »
very nice write up.  I didn't look at the directions although I did have to google the error codes since I had my probes reversed.  I thought it was pretty straight forward since I had an idea how the programs worked and knew the program I wanted to run. I do need to look into it to find out how to auto tune and to calibrate my probes.  But very nice work on this.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 11:53:18 PM »
thanks Ben from Ben. Like the simple info that is given to others
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

bocaboy

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 04:51:20 PM »
Ben,

Thanks for the help with the directions. My PID arrived today and I modified the #2 by connecting the two electrical spades on the thermostat so that I could cook at a temp beyond 250º. I notice that for the PID to power up the heater I had to have both probes connected. How can I program it if I only want to use the temperature probe for the cabinet and not the food probe. An example of this setup would be cooking ribs.

In my initial run the PID brings much more accuracy to the cabinet temperature and doesn't seem to stray off more than 10º, which it quickly corrects for.

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »
The first step C01 need be time based (t as opposed to f) ... Just hit the + sign to toggle it.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

bocaboy

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 05:02:03 AM »
Many thanks. I kind of figured that out last night after thinking about it. Sometimes simpler is better!

The_Mexicutioner

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 12:35:38 PM »
Has anybody ever experienced the "H" code on their PID?  I wasn't able to use the PID/SI-3 combo because my window 1 was showing the "H" code.  I swapped the probes and window 1 displayed the sensor temp and window two displayed a flashing "H".  At this point I'm thinking that my cabinet sensor is bad but luckily it's still under warranty.  Additionally, I am not able to get into LCK 1, 2, or 3 and it immediately goes into normal state when I attempt to enter those areas of programming.  Ideas??

The_Mexicutioner

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 12:39:17 PM »
I'm actually smoking some whole chickens today and am using the meat sensor as my cabinet sensor so I can maintain 325 degrees in the cabinet.  I am using my Maverick to monitor the IT of the breasts.  That was the only way I could manage to get the SI-3 to get power from the Auber.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 02:49:41 PM »
Has anybody ever experienced the "H" code on their PID?  I wasn't able to use the PID/SI-3 combo because my window 1 was showing the "H" code.  I swapped the probes and window 1 displayed the sensor temp and window two displayed a flashing "H".  At this point I'm thinking that my cabinet sensor is bad but luckily it's still under warranty.  Additionally, I am not able to get into LCK 1, 2, or 3 and it immediately goes into normal state when I attempt to enter those areas of programming.  Ideas??

Your cabinet probe probably got a little too close to the smoke box, or you got water in it while cleaning.  Contact Steve for a replacement.  As far as the LCK 1,2 and 3 - those are only available on the 1200GPH, so unless you just bought your Auber, you have the third generation model.  Since you have a model 3, I'm guessing you have the 1503 CPH.  Correct?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

The_Mexicutioner

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 01:15:04 PM »
Tony, I used your guide to install the probe so it's more or less in the same location as yours.  The only time the Auber was fired up prior to the failure was during the Autotune programming so I'll rule the smoke box factor out. Even worse, I didn't even wet the thing to clean it so water in the sensor is also out of the question. All are valid suggestions but unfortunately neither are likely the cause of failure in this case. At any rate, Auber has already shipped a replacement. I didn't but my Auber from Steve because the SI website was reporting "out of stock" for several weeks when I was wanting to buy mine. I do own the SI-3 and paired it with the recommended 1503CPH which I purchased just days before the gen-4 Auber came out. So are the gen-3s not able to save "recipes"?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 03:10:38 PM by The_Mexicutioner »

jpittssr

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 03:22:14 PM »
So are the gen-3s not able to save "recipes"?

I'm not Tony but I can answer your question.
The CPH models don't have the save/recall feature but I would not let it bother me.
I have the GPH model but I find it is almost as easy to just punch what ever I need for the current cook.
After using mine I find that the C-1 location is the one it starts when the power is first turned on. So, if you recall one of your saved programs and then experience a power blip it will come back on in program C-1. Depending on what was saved in C-1 the last time, you could ruin your meat.
Price being equal I would tale either one but personally, I just as soon have the CPH.
I struck out what I said previously because Tony has found that it does not default to C-1. It will default to the last program that was keyed in.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 05:56:28 PM by jpittssr »

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 08:37:20 PM »
Tony, I used your guide to install the probe so it's more or less in the same location as yours.  The only time the Auber was fired up prior to the failure was during the Autotune programming so I'll rule the smoke box factor out. Even worse, I didn't even wet the thing to clean it so water in the sensor is also out of the question. All are valid suggestions but unfortunately neither are likely the cause of failure in this case. At any rate, Auber has already shipped a replacement. I didn't but my Auber from Steve because the SI website was reporting "out of stock" for several weeks when I was wanting to buy mine. I do own the SI-3 and paired it with the recommended 1503CPH which I purchased just days before the gen-4 Auber came out. So are the gen-3s not able to save "recipes"?

Great news on the probe.  And, the unit you have is very solid.  I have most of my Auber experience with the 1503 CPH, and actually prefer it over the 1200 GPH.  Not because of features, but power.  It's 1800 watts, so it has a little more overhead when pushing the bigger elements.  No, you can't save programs.  With the 1200 GPH, I have recalled saved programs, but (with experience), you can input them just as fast.  It's just nice if you have a few complex programs that you don't want to commit the steps to memory on.

After using mine I find that the C-1 location is the one it starts when the power is first turned on. So, if you recall one of your saved programs and then experience a power blip it will come back on in program C-1. Depending on what was saved in C-1 the last time, you could ruin your meat.

Ed, I've tested this, and discovered the 1200GPH doesn't revert to program C1 when power is reset; it actually reverts to the last program you input.  I bet, in your case, C1 happens to be the last one you manually input and saved.  I attempted to confirm your theory several ways, and it wasn't the case.  Initially, mine reverted to P2, as it was the last program I input.  So, I believe that's the answer.  You might be able to confirm this.
Tony from NW Arkansas

The_Mexicutioner

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 04:43:57 PM »
It's 1800 watts, so it has a little more overhead when pushing the bigger elements.

I'm actually powering mine with 220v which allows the 1503 to handle up to a 2800 watts element. When I was looking for a 220v element that was of similar dimensions, ironically the only one similar in size was another 1200 watts. There were some that were 1500 watts, even 2K watts, but they were only about 10 inches long compared to the original 20-inch element and I didn't want the shorter element to limit where in the smoke box I could place the wood chunks.  I was able to get to 350 degrees with the new element which was my goal so I can't complain.  At least I know I have another 1600 watts of overhead if I ever need it.