Author Topic: Potatoes  (Read 5266 times)

puddle jumper

Potatoes
« on: August 17, 2013, 12:10:29 PM »
OK quick question if there is anyone around,,
How long do Taters take to smoke at 225???
I have never done them before but I saw it on here the other day and wanted to give it a try...
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 12:32:06 PM »
If you're using baking potatoes, you can speed up the process by par cooking them in the microwave before smoking. 

With bakers, I poke holes all over the potato with a fork, slather with bacon grease (or butter) and lay on a heavy seasoning of kosher salt, cracked black pepper, and a little brown sugar.  I use one of the top two racks to keep the skin from blackening too much; after about 2.25 hours at 225 you'll have some very nice taters.

Some people do one hour smoked, one hour foiled but I don't think it's necessary.  I will say that let them dry a bit after you wash them; it'll help the bacon grease stick and keep the pores open enough to accept the smoke.

Twice-baked potatoes (with some cheese, molasses, bacon, minced chives, etc.) mixed in are KILLER smoked as well.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

puddle jumper

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 12:58:29 PM »
Sounds great,,,,
 I have my first run going right now,, a rack of pork ribs , a rack of beef ribs under them so the pork will baste them in pork drippings as they cook, some sausage and the potatoes,,,I'm thinking 5 hrs at 225 and rest for a 1/2 hr, going to try not wrapping these and see how it go's ,,sausage will go on with 1 1/2 left in the cook,,, using oak.
Thank you
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 03:05:15 PM »
I like doing baked potatoes in the smoker and have tried them two ways.   I set the msoker for 225F and rub EVO on the taters with salt and pepper.  They typically take 4 hours to bake.   The first time I baked them for 2 hours unwrapped, and then 2 hours wrapped.   Now, I just bake them for 4 hours unwrapped to get extra smoke on the skins...and they are tasty!  Good luck.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

puddle jumper

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 12:22:54 PM »
  My total cook was for 5 1/2 hrs,, I ended up rubbing them with olive oil and heavy salt,, put them in at the start of the cook after 3 hrs they where getting soft so I wrapped them and put them in the cooler for about 1 1/2 hr of the cook, then back in the smoker for the last hour,,, They where great,,, Thanks for the help and abvice, next time I will add some of the other things you guys mentioned, I kind of wanted a base line to start with on cook times and I'm going to play from here...

My potatoes go on the smoker from now on...
 ;)
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner