Author Topic: Texas Hill Country Sides: Smoked German Potato Salad  (Read 11750 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Texas Hill Country Sides: Smoked German Potato Salad
« on: July 17, 2013, 09:55:25 PM »
Okay, you have to go with me a bit on this one.  German and Czech settlers to Texas are the progenitors of modern Texas barbecue and their preference for cooking meat in the "low & slow" method over Texas post oak is matched only by their unique side dishes and desserts.  Go to any central Texas BBQ joint and you'll find beans, German potato salad, cole slaw, etc. that have their roots in European methods. 

Spresso put out a call for recipes for Texas-style smoked brisket and sides and while the bean recipe I posted is pretty traditional this method of prep for a warm German potato salad is faithful to the spirit of the dish while taking some pretty serious liberties.  The biggest is one that cements this dish as "barbecue" ... you will SMOKE the potatoes prior to service.

There are plenty of recipes online for smoked red potatoes, which are the type that my family recipe calls for.  You simply prep them like Hassleback potatoes, smear them with reserved bacon grease rather than olive oil, and you're good to go on to the potato salad recipe.  Here's what the prep would look like prior to smoking:

Now if you're a traditionalist, as my mother is who was not happy about this little brainstorm (brain fart?), you can stick with a normal potato prep that I'll post at the end.  But I think that this variation is more than just a novelty, it's a way to help bridge between the protein entree and your sides with a common smoked theme.

Smoked German Potato Salad
3 pounds red potatoes - medium sized, unpeeled
8-10 oz. thick cut bacon, 1" dice
1/2 red onion, minced
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup water
3 tbsp parsley, minced (fresh)
1 tbsp coarse grain mustard (or more, to taste)
1 tbsp white sugar
1 tbsp AP flour
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp fresh ground pepper (fine)

Bake the bacon on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or pan fry in 1-inch slices; do not over cook.  Reserve the rendered fat.  If you baked your bacon do a large dice and reserve the bacon pieces.

Wash and scrub the potatoes, leaving the skin on.  Make 1/2" slices partially through the potato, leaving them attached to one another at the base as seen in the photo I provided.  Drizzle with reserved bacon grease, salt and pepper to taste, and microwave each potato on high for 90 seconds.  Take the potatoes and put them in a smoker with 2-3 oz. of oak or pecan for two hours; they should be fork-tender but still be firm enough for cutting.  Remove, do a large dice on all the potatoes and hold in a bowl.

Lightly saute the finely diced red onions in bacon drippings and reserve.

To make the bacon dressing, take the warm bacon drippings and whisk in the whole grain mustard, flour, sugar, salt and pepper; when smooth, add the cider vinegar and water and whisk until uniform.  Add the cooked onions and pan drippings, as well as the bacon to the bowl of smoked, diced potatoes.  Toss until all potatoes are cooked, add minced parsley and serve warm.  Can be warmed over low heat for service in a non-stick skillet.

NOTE:  For a traditional potato, half fill a large pot with salted water and bring to a simmer.  Cut potatoes into 1/4" slices and soak in cold water to remove excess starch for 20-30 minutes.  Drain and place sliced potatoes in the simmering water and cook for 3-4 minutes or until fork-tender.  Drain potatoes and use them in the recipe above.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 10:09:30 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Texas Hill Country Sides: Smoked German Potato Salad
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 10:43:20 PM »
OMG!  That looks incredible!  I've never been a fan of mayonnaise-based potato salad (can't stand mayo), so this FINALLY looks like a viable alternative!  I've always been the same with cole slaw, due to the mayo factor, but love a poppy-seed dressing slaw.  I'm definitely going to have to try this!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Spresso

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 12:09:30 AM »
that sounds fantastic. 
great idea on smoking the potatoes too. 
I was actually surprised at smoking the beans too but shouldn't have. I've always added smoked pieces of meat and or smoked paprika to bean dishes.   this way you can actually control the flavor completely.

the dish sounds good.  we make something similar, instead of olive oil or bacon fat we use duck fat.

seriously thanks for all this....
all around great ideas for a Texas BBQ nite in Ontario

I've gotta say. The more I hear about Texas the more I want to go and experience it myself!
Especially now that you got a F1 track to boot  ;)
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

UWFSAE

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 12:55:23 AM »
I've found that you can really get some decent smokiness in the beans with doing it to the soaked beans and again with the completed dish.  As far as potatoes, I've found that if you use a waxy potato like reds or fingerlings they really take on that flavor; I figure by making a few cuts to it it'll help carry that flavor a lot farther ...

As far as duck fat, I love the stuff for doing pan fried potatoes but most of the local markets don't carry decent duck breast so I have to brave Houston traffic to go find a decent vendor.  But if you've got it, use it!   ;)
Joe from Houston, TX

UWFSAE

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 01:05:50 AM »
@Divot:  I detest cole slaw on pulled pork but it's what I grew up around.  I was always the kid at cookouts grabbing two ears of corn or some beans and calling it a day ...
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 07:18:08 PM »
@Divot:  I detest cole slaw on pulled pork but it's what I grew up around.  I was always the kid at cookouts grabbing two ears of corn or some beans and calling it a day ...

Back at ya', Joe!  Never liked cole slaw at all until I was grown, and only then the non-mayo kind, and only as a side!  Who wants to ruin good pulled pork like that?? ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Spresso

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 09:35:01 PM »
Funny when I was growing up I didn't like all that vinegary German type salads.
I liked the mayo kind... ;D
but then again we never bought mayo in a jar. It was always made with egg yolks from freshly collected eggs from free range, diverse diet  fed chickens,
+ oil,  nice mustard and spices and of course sour cream....
Till this day my mother makes the best mayo I have ever had....(no homerism , honest)  :D
Smokin-It-all on the #3

UWFSAE

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 11:42:40 PM »
My grandmother was a fan of the mayo-based potato salad but my mom, in a fit of mid-20's rebellion, adopted her paternal grandmother's German style and there always seemed to be two types of potato salad at every family gathering.  I'm definitely partial to the German style but I will admit that I often double the amount of whole grain mustard in the bacon dressing compared to my Mom's recipe.

Rebellion never goes out of style ...
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 07:27:41 PM »
We're starting to get a really broad base of tastes & recipes in our little forum!  Lovin' it!! :-*
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 03:20:16 PM »
Where I live we have a german butcher who makes a pretty good german potato salad.  It's good, but this recipe looks off the hook.  I can't wait to give the recipe a try. 
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Spresso

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 06:26:42 AM »
JOe,  just wanted to tell you that the recipe was a success.
It turned out really well..   the smokiness was a surprise.
I found some nice red potatoes finally!

the only variation I did was to cut the bacon smaller pieces... my wife won't eat bacon if it's on big pieces... oh well.
and I may have used the whole onion  ;D

great success as I said so thank you!
The brisket turned out nice too.   I added a touch of my rub mix to the oil I used to rub it down.. don't know why just for color I guess as it wasn't much at all..

Smokin-It-all on the #3

UWFSAE

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 01:04:44 PM »
Outstanding!  That bacon dressing is great on anything; I've even used a variation on rice (just reduce the vinegar by half) and everyone devoured it.

As far as brisket, I think the traditional Hill Country style is great but, like good pizza, there is always room for variation.  Hell, I inject my briskets despite it being heresy in some parts of Texas.  Glad everything worked out for you.   :)
Joe from Houston, TX

Spresso

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 06:17:11 PM »
Hehe,  this was only a test run... my cousin is coming in a couple of months.....
Funny thing is I shouldn't really try to compete with her or even try to please her as she is becoming quite a celebrity in PEI and rightly so as her cooking is simply superb....
But there is something in me to at least make me try....

I will make the beans soon too.....
 oh and I have to confess that I reduced the vinegar by a little bit... to a scant 1/2 cup.
and I was short on bacon fat so I topped it up with duck..  ;D   I just couldn't resist.......
I hope you are not offended.
Smokin-It-all on the #3

UWFSAE

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 07:05:49 PM »
You can add duck to anything ... there are few things close to bacon in the awesomeness pantheon but duck is high up there.

With regard to vinegar, adjust to your own tastes; I find that the sugar and mustard help offset the flavor but it is definitely (and purposefully) a vinegary dish.

Let us know how the visit by your cousin goes; trust me, nothing wrong with a little pride in what you're making.
Joe from Houston, TX