Author Topic: Wolf Turds  (Read 11041 times)

SkellyCA

Wolf Turds
« on: May 24, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »
I haven't made these yet but I have eaten them. They are very good and I plan to make them soon.

Wolf Turds:

10-12 Good, fresh Jalapenos
2 Links Sweet Italian Sausage
1 8 oz "brick" of Philly Cream Cheese
2 tsp Chili 9000 seasoning
1 tsp Smoked (mild) Paprika
12 (or so) strips of good, THIN sliced bacon

Slice the Jalapenos down one side, and then cut part way thru the stem end, leaving enough to keep the stem attached like a "cap".

Using a spoon, scoop out the membranes and seeds from the inside. Rinse, and set aside to dry.

Let the cream cheese come to room temperature (for easier mixing).  If using link sausage, remove the casing from the two links.  Mix the paprika, chili 9000, creme cheese, and sausage together in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined.  (A food processor or hand mixer can make this step a lot easier.)

Stuff the Jalapenos with the cheese/sausage mixture until full. Wrap with a slice (or more if necessary) of bacon until completely covered. Use the stem ends as caps to keep the goodness from oozing out as they cook. (No toothpics were necessary to hold all these together when wuff made them.)

Place on smoker rack with the cut sides up (might be hard to tell thru the bacon). Smoke at 250 degrees in strong smoke (mesquite, hickory, etc) for at least 2 hours, until interior temperature reaches 160 degrees and bacon is reasonably crisp.

Remove from smoker, and allow to rest for 5 minutes or so, for the filling to "set up" a bit.

Devour!

Variation: Add some Amish Gorgonzola Crumbles to the cheese in each "turd" for a lovely "bluesy" note.

Notes:

When selecting your Jalapeno's, look for medium sized peppers that have a tight, shiny, glossy skin with no wrinkles, and are not mushy to the touch. The better the pepper, the better this appetizer will be.

Important - use THIN bacon, the thinner the better. Thick cuts won't cook up as crisp, and will stay flabby and under-done. Not nearly as appetizing that way.

Needless to say, good sausage and good bacon will make a world of difference in this dish!

Walt

Re: Wolf Turds
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 10:13:46 PM »
They sound great.  Any pepper in this smoker turns out great.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 10:21:40 AM »
This sounds great!

I would love to see your results.

FYI, I would think that you'll need to blast these at 250 degrees or higher if you have an Auber in order to get the bacon crispy. But, that is just a guess.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SkellyCA

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 08:18:12 PM »
I plan on making them some time next week. I do plan on posting a pic. The recipe says to use thin bacon and heat it up to 250 so it will crisp up.

SkellyCA

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 09:10:58 PM »
Wolf Turd Sushi  ;D

Also my home made BBQ sauce

Notes:

I just cleaned out the peppers with my thumb. Recipe said use a spoon.
Same thing with stuffing.
I used a hand mixer on low. It caked on to the blades but was easy to get lose.
The easy way to remember which side is up is before you cut into them make sure the stems point the same direction.
I made 13 but had enough stuffing and bacon for probably 7 or 8 more.
I could fit 24 in the little smoker. 2 racks of 3 X 4 peppers.
Prep time: Little over an hour but it was my first time so it went slow.
I had the smoker turned up all the way(250)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 12:11:34 AM by SkellyCA »

Walt

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 11:08:52 AM »
I also made some, minus the sausage, yesterday. In addition, I also stuffed some poblanos. 3 hrs @ 250 with a couple oz of cherry.  Very good!  The poblanos dont have the same level of heat.  The ladies, in my house, prefer these.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 11:31:10 AM »
Looks awesome! Nice job guys!

I like the idea of using Poblanos as I don't like the heat myself. But these look/sound delicious.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 05:49:54 PM »
Wow, thanks for posting, these look amazing and a must try.  These are now on my agenda for my next post.

How is your homemade BBQ sauce, would love to see your recipe.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

SkellyCA

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 07:36:23 PM »
My sauce was simple this time...

1 28oz can tomato sauce
About a half cup molasses
Tomato paste
garlic
onion
bell pepper
thyme
oregano
salt
pepper

I usually make a habanero sauce but that is super hot and wanted something sweeter this time.