Author Topic: 2nd cook new 3.5D 16.5 prime packer  (Read 597 times)

TheChad

2nd cook new 3.5D 16.5 prime packer
« on: February 11, 2024, 12:31:45 AM »
Hello all! I?m new to Smokin-It Smokers but not new to smoking briskets and other foods especially fish. I?m an ex commercial fisherman which is one of the reasons I bought the 3.5D, smoking lots of salmon at a colder controlled temp. this unit seems fairly ideal.

I have poured through past years posts on here for brisket trying to get a leg up on a successful first cook, Im using a Costco 16.5lb prime packer wet aged for 40 days which I typically find to be my sweet spot. I started out at 170 for 1.5hrs then kept the time the same while bumping up 10* increments and once I reached the 1.5hr mark at 200* I bumped it up to 235* and here it now sits until done. I plan to tinfoil boat the brisket at the stall until finished at which point I?ll pull it and let it cool to 165* while setting the smoker at 155* and then holding until I serve it for Super Bowl dinner. I?m very picky about my brisket, I like a deep smoky, juicy, tender profile. I am using chunks of post oak and cherry wood. I started off with 12oz. Of wood and then reloaded it with 6oz. more once that ash?d up. I did use the chip screen to prolong the wood burn/smoke. I?m nervous as to how this will turn out. Very nervous, as it?s my first shindig with this setup.

I was torn between getting a Lonestar Pellet smoker and this unit, I wanted the Lonestar pellet grill for the smoking function of brisket alone, I chose this unit though for the versatile nature, jerky, snack sticks, turkeys, 50lbs of fish at a whack and hopefully damn good brisket too!

I seasoned this meat with copious amounts of pepper on a thin mustard binder then flaked sea salt, garlic, and finally a dusting of Lawry?s. I sure hope it turns out as every method of brisket smoke I?ve used before has done well.

Here are a couple of pic?s, I?ll update as I progress?.. the pic of the brisket in the smoker is 6hrs in at the beginning of the 235* program. Just starting to get render.

TheChad

Re: 2nd cook new 3.5D 16.5 prime packer
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 07:50:36 AM »
I pulled it at 203 in the point and 200 in the flat. It feels probe tender all over, although I did miss the stall and foil boat. Oops. It sure didn?t hit much of a stall! This was 15 hours in total from turning on the smoker to pulling the meat. So far I?m liking this smoker. We?ll see what it tastes like at dinner time!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 10:53:03 AM »
My first comment is 18 oz of wood is 12 to 14 oz more than I would use.  I say this because when I bought my first electric smoke, over the course of the entire smoke of a butt I used 12+ oz of hickory. The exterior was very sticky and shredding the butt to mix it up was a disaster. Very bitter and the stickiness I found out was creosote. I tossed the butt. I truly hope with the way you set up you cook that all turns out well.  For brisket, I use the Costco prime exclusively and it is great.  15 hours seems about right.  I am including a link discussing smoke just in case you have some questions or want to delve further into the smoking process. Finally, your post smoke picture look good. Be sure to let us know how it turned out. I sure hope I did not sound critical in my comment as that was not my intent.  Enjoy the meal and the game.
https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/science-of-wood-and-smoke/
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

TheChad

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 02:59:24 PM »
Old Sarge, thank you so much for your reply and tips! I have noticed you are one of the more active members in this community so I thought you might chime in. No criticism taken at all!

I grew up in rain forest Alaska on a very rural homestead which had only wood burning stoves for heat, any wood that was not very well seasoned was typically a very creosote heavy burn. But now I live in the high mountain desert of south central Montana and my smoking wood is very dry. It burned good, nice clean ash, and you can see by the pics of it finished in the smoker it didn?t leave the walls black and sticky. I too was worried though! The little corner I sliced and the pinch of rendered fat tasted marvelous, but still I?m worried until I taste an actual cut. Fingers crossed!

My first cook was a 24lb turkey, I used hickory and about 7oz. and there was literally next to no smoke profile which is why I used so much wood. I did chop it into smaller pieces and monitored for a clean burn so I?ve done what I could!

I?ll check your link, and I?ll be looking for more good words from you, it was nice to get to chat with you!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 08:58:58 PM »
Once in a great while I feel as if I am offensive and so I state no intent.  As for my being active, this forum was super active, thanks to a former member called divotmaker (Tony Langley). He had over 10,000 post but departed for other interests in late 2018. He was Steve's new equipment tester and writer of instructions and some recipes.  Tony really held everything together and I'm sure the older members would agree. When he left, activity slowed down. Me, I just sort of help out and try to keep things civilized. Enjoy!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

TheChad

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2024, 09:02:25 PM »
I?ve read his posts and have found them very informative! I definitely understand the need to pursue other interests and being a lurker of a couple of years to this platform I appreciate your continued participation! I first came across the smokin Tex or some such, then saw the Smokin-it and just gravitated towards here. I sometime shortly after that point stumbled across Two Guys and a Cooler on YouTube and really became interested in the Smokin-It smoker. I?ll tell you what, though, after yesterday?s brisket I?m SOLD! All in convinced and so were 18 people! I feel it was in my top 5 briskets in the past 20 years, and maybe even top 3. I could?ve used more smoke but after 30 years of smoking and coffee drinking on the high seas my taste buds are slightly dead?. lol! Everybody said it was perfect as is and so I?ll accept the opinion of the general consortium in our gathering. I do feel I was toeing a fine line with the amount of wood used and will keep that in mind on my first salmon smoke. I?ve got a half a cow of Montana?s finest to conquer in my freezer and look forward to getting after it.

If anyone out there is on the fence with Smokin-it rest assured it?s a fine purchase that will serve well many tasks.

Thanks again, Old Sarge! I appreciate your input and look forward to chatting further!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 07:12:03 PM »
Sure glad all approved of the food. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle