Author Topic: First Cook - FINALLY  (Read 3730 times)

sweetride95

First Cook - FINALLY
« on: March 20, 2018, 05:49:55 PM »
Finally had some decent weather Sunday. Low 50s and sunny all day.

Didn't get too many pics. First cook had me a little frazzled. My home brewing beer experience has taught me to maintain a very strict and intentional process. My practice run didn't involve a pile of wet meat and my lovely "sanitation officer" wife. So, it was a little helter skelter. But after all the "omg don't touch anything!" and "do you know what you're doing?", I did take good notes and made a list of containers, racks, and cooking sheets I need for next time.
Anyways...
6.5lb country style ribs. Costco
3hr basic LazyQ brine.
Mustard and Famous Daves rub.
2oz hickory & 2oz apple
water pan
225F 6h10m to reach 190F
Stalled 166-168F hours #2-4.5

Turned out a little dry and maybe over smoked. Tenderness was good. The sizes of meat variety quite a bit. The butchering could have been a little more consistent. Would have liked a longer brine.

Apple wood is old, so it may have been overly dry. I did foil canoe both chunks. Next time I will back it off an oz.

Famous Daves rub has a tad too much celery flavor in it for me. Next time I will add a little extra brown sugar.

My previous smoking was done on an ugly drum with charcoal. I would usually smoke 2-3hrs and then wrap with apple juice another 2. This was my first time not wrapping and monitoring temperature the entire way. Next time I may check them at 187F or so.

Either way, the meat was very editable. This machine is a dream to use. I see myself smoking much more often now. Before I was fighting conditions and just limping into finishing each smoke. Now I should be able to actually dial in some recipes and enjoy the process.

I will have better pics next time. Bacon has been a bucket list thing, now might be the time.....

Ben from IN
SI#2
Webber LP
Anova sous vide noob
23+ yr Machinist/EDM Rm Supervisor

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: First Cook - FINALLY
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 05:57:57 PM »
Great start, Ben!  It's all a learning process, and with that first smoke under your belt, you'll be able to adjust for your tastes.  Country ribs are a little hard because they are kind of unpredictable.  Do you know what temp you smoked them to final?  You said they stalled, which is not really normal for small cuts like that.  Because country ribs are just a sliced pork butt, I smoke them to 155 (a little higher than pork loin, due to the fat), because they will be dry at 166 and above.  While a whole butt, for pulled pork, will go to around 190, country ribs won't. 

What's on the menu for smoke #2?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

sweetride95

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 06:13:08 PM »
They went from 55 to 165F in about 2hrs, then hung out there another 2.
I had read on anther post or two about 190, so I went to that. There weren't totally killed, but could have been a smigde better.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1970.msg21830#msg21830

Next smoke will be another batch of these for redemption, or chicken.
Ben from IN
SI#2
Webber LP
Anova sous vide noob

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 06:22:51 PM »
Yeah, 190's pretty high for them.  I used to do them to 190ish, but found it was too high.  Country ribs only take me a couple of hours, and come out tender and juicy at 165.  Not quite pulled pork tender, but easy slicing.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

JustChillin

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 06:31:32 PM »
I typically smoke baby backs for 5 hours @ 225. I have little experience smoking other ribs but You will receive some great suggestions from people that do. Can I assume that the beer was good?
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 12:26:56 AM »
Looking good Ben!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 01:06:50 AM »
I don't like much celery flavor in my rubs either. Which is why I usually make my own. Lots of rub recipes out there, and the ingredients are pretty common spices you probably already have in your spice collection. I often use Famous Dave's as an "ingredient" in my own concoctions.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 09:53:35 AM »
I cook country style ribs with my baby backs and found them to generally take the same amount of time.  I use a toothpick on my ribs and never a thermometer to determine if they are done. 

BTW, I love country style ribs! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 11:04:08 AM »
I cook country style ribs with my baby backs and found them to generally take the same amount of time.  I use a toothpick on my ribs and never a thermometer to determine if they are done. 

BTW, I love country style ribs!
Dave, I think I read before that you foil? Do you still?
Ben..you are going to enjoy your new toy, I have never tried country style ribs but I just might have to!
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 12:59:05 PM »
Dave, I think I read before that you foil? Do you still?
I foil the baby backs but not the country style.  Country style ribs are actually a pork butt that's been sliced into thick strips. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

sweetride95

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »
Cook #2 was a return visit to country style ribs.
Changes:
Used my own rub. Brown sugar, paprika, garlic, lemon pepper, cayenne, ect. Nothing exotic.
Little less wood. 2.5oz hickory.
Less overall time. This time was 4h20m. Temp ran up to 173 in an hour, then fell to 166. Ran that stall until it started climbing again. Wrapped for resting @ 170F

Much juicier. Thin ends are a little tight, but fattier areas are much, much better.
Better smoke balance. Should make fantastic leftovers tonight for dinner.
Rub is a proven winner with the wife.
Overall, it was a step in a better direction. Still needs some work, but they still are what they are.
Will be porked out after eating these up. Probably looking at some chicken action next week.

Ben from IN
SI#2
Webber LP
Anova sous vide noob

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 04:23:35 PM »
Looking good Ben. I’ve been getting St Louis ribs from Costco lately. Swift Premium. Very tasty and meaty.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 08:21:56 PM »
Sounds like you have your formula, Ben!  Looking good!
Tony from NW Arkansas